Reopening Health, Fitness & Aquatics
January 4, 2022
In response to the highly transmissible Omicron variant, the Ontario government, in consultation with the Chief Medical Officer of Health, has taken action against the spread of COVID-19 by imposing a temporary lockdown across Ontario.
Effective Wednesday, January 5, our fitness facilities (the Taggart Family Y and Clarence-Rockland Y) will be closed until at least January 26, when the Province will reassess a safe re-opening date.
The Y's essential services like Housing and Child Care are still operating as normal, and our Employment and Newcomer programs will shift to virtual services only on January 5, 2022. You can learn more here about the provincial guidelines.
We will share more details about re-opening again as soon as they are available. In the meantime, you can always contact our member service team for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Re-Opening Health, Fitness & Aquatic Centres
As of January 5, 2022, our Health, Fitness, and Aquatic centres are closed.
The Y is committed to putting the health and safety of our community first and is working diligently to ensure a safe re-opening under the Government of Ontario and Ottawa Public Health/Eastern Ontario Health Unit’s most recent guidelines.
If you would like more information, please reach out to our member service team: email@example.com
Take the time to review our FAQs below for more information, including hours of operation, how to book your visit, and what programs and services are available.
Frequently Asked Questions (once reopened):
Are vaccinations mandatory to participate in health, & fitness activities?
Following the direction of the Ontario Government, as of September 22, 2021, it is mandatory
for all participants and visitors, 12 years and older, to show Ontario's official vaccine passport, or valid proof of full vaccination (plus 14 days), along with a photo ID, in order to access our Health, Fitness and Aquatics facilities.
Our Y will comply with human rights obligations and accommodate individuals who are legally entitled to
an exemption from this vaccine requirement policy accordingly. For information regarding the policy and any exemptions, please review the Ontario Guidance to Support Proof of Vaccination Policy.
Please note: We cannot accept your proof of vaccination via email. This process must be done on
site, and in person.
What health and safety measures are being put in place in your centres?
Nothing is more important than the health and safety or our members, participants, volunteers, and staff. We are following all regulations and guidelines from our government and public health officials to reduce the spread of COVID-19. We have enhanced cleaning and hygiene practices and continue to implement safety measures to promote physical distancing:
Measures to support physical distancing:
- Where possible, fitness equipment has been spaced apart 3 metres or greater and will be clearly marked. To accommodate distancing, some equipment may be temporarily unavailable for use.
- We will limit the number of members in our centres at any given time according to provincial guidelines. Pool access requires pre-booking due to the limited space available.
- We have clear markings on the floor to indicate how far you will need to be from others at any given time, and signage throughout our buildings.
- In some facilities or spaces there may be directional flow for walking traffic.
Enhanced cleaning and hygiene:
- Staff members will be wearing protective equipment.
- All members will be required to wipe down equipment and workout spaces before and after use.
- Our Staff Team will be continuously disinfecting high touch surface areas and cleaning continuously throughout the day.
- Increased signage and hand sanitization stations to remind everyone to wash and sanitize their hands regularly.
- All members, participants, volunteers, and staff will be screened prior to entry.
- We have a booking system in place to allow members to book their time with us, helping us to control and meet provincial regulations for capacity.
- Members will be asked to bring some of their own equipment, including yoga mats, basketballs, and reusable water bottles and towels.
How do I make sure that I receive communications and newsletters from the Y?
If you are a Y member and you haven't heard from us over email, we may not have your email address, or sometimes emails may end up in your Junk Mail. Please be sure to check and mark us as a safe sender. You can also request to be added to our Y Updates email list by sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject line of "Add me to your email list".
For those that prefer, our updates are always shared on our website and on social media, as well.
Where does the Y get health and safety guidance from?
Our Ys comply with all directives from our provincial and local public health authorities across the regions that we serve.
What programs, services and amenities are currently available?
We have carefully modified programs, amenities and protocols to meet provincial and local health guidelines. The following programs and services are available:
- Conditioning floor, Men’s and Women’s Plus facilities (Taggart Y), and Group Fitness Classes
- Swimming pools are open for lane swim, Aquafit classes, open swims, and a modified Swim Lesson schedule. (Currently Taggart Y only).
- Adult, youth and children’s programming, including Child Minding.
- Access to general change rooms and washrooms.
- Kid's Zone open (Taggart Y).
- Open to all Y members and guests.
Will I have to undergo a health screening when I enter the facility?
Yes. All members, participants, volunteers, and staff will be asked to complete a COVID-19 health screening prior to entering the facility. This screening process can be done in advance using our YMCA-YWCA NCR app or in person upon arrival. To learn more about how to complete your screening using the app, view our step by step instructions (PDF).
Will I need to pre-book my visit to the Y? How do I pre-book?
You must pre-book your Aquatic sessions and Cyclefit classes. No other areas currently require pre-booking.
- If you don't already have one, first set up your online Y account
- Once you are set up, log into your Y account. You will see a "make a booking" section at the top of the page. Follow the instructions, or view step by step instructions on using the booking tool (PDF).
Will I have to wear a mask while in the Y?
As per current Ottawa Public Health and Eastern Ontario Health Unit's requirements, you must wear a mask upon entry to the facility and in common areas, such a change rooms and bathrooms. According to health guidelines, you are not required to wear a mask while swimming, during high intensity fitness classes, or while using cardio equipment. Anyone who wishes to wear a mask may do so at any time.
What are your hours of operation?
Our current hours are posted in the Health and Fitness section of our website.
How can I put my membership on hold or request a refund?
We currently have all members on hold. We will reactivate members' accounts, only as we open facilities.
Please be sure to read our most recent member emails for more information. You can either join our mailing list, or click the links (English) below: