Reopening Health, Fitness & Aquatics
Update: August 23, 2021
Y Members and Supporters,
We are happy to share that two of our health and fitness centres have scheduled re-opening dates:
- The Taggart Family Y's health, fitness and aquatics facilities will re-open on September 7, 2021
- The Clarence-Rockland Y's health fitness and aquatics facilities will re-open November 1, 2021
Each Centre will expand the programs and services sequentially, as soon as they are able. Please see below for some information about what you can expect at your Y, and what programs and services will be available as we re-open.
Our Y is committed to putting the health and safety of our community first and are working diligently to ensure a safe re-opening under the Government of Ontario and Ottawa Public Health’s most recent guidelines.
We thank you for your support as we continue to provide critical services across our region. If you have questions, please reach out to our member service team: email@example.com
Re-Opening Health, Fitness & Aquatic Centres
We know you are excited to get back to your fitness routine, and we are excited to see you! The Taggart Family Y reopens September 7, 2021 to all Y members, and our Clarence-Rockland Y will open on November 1, 2021 (day passes will be available for non-members).
Taggart Family Y | Opening September 7, 2021
We will be opening sequentially, expanding programs and services as we are able. In September, the Taggart Family Y will be offering group fitness classes, swim programs, access to the conditioning floor, limited child and pre-teen programs, and Plus members can access the Men's and Women's Plus areas. A smaller number of registered programs will also be available for the Fall season (running September - December). View the online program guide to see available programs and for registration information.
Clarence Rockland Y | Opening November 1, 2021
We will be opening sequentially, expanding programs and services as we are able. In November, the Clarence-Rockland Y will be offering group fitness classes, swim programs, access to the conditioning floor, and limited child and pre-teen programs. Registered programs will also be available during a shortened Fall season (running November - December). Clarence Rockland schedules and programs will be posed online soon!
Please note the following:
- You must book your visit in advance to access the pool, visit the Men’s or Women’s PLUS areas, or take part in a Group Fitness class. (see FAQ below for instructions).
- You do not need to book in advance to access the conditioning floor, provided capacity limits have not been reached.
- Pre-screening is required and must be completed either in person upon arrival, or in advance using our app, view step by step instructions here (PDF).
Take a moment to review our FAQ’s below for more information including hours of operation, how to book your visit, and available programs and services.
Take the time to review our FAQs below for more information, including hours of operation, how to book your visit, and what programs and services are available.
Frequently Asked Questions (once reopened):
What health and safety measures are being put in place in your centres?
Nothing is more important than the health and safety or our members, participants, volunteers, and staff. We are following all regulations and guidelines from our government and public health officials to reduce the spread of COVID-19. We have enhanced cleaning and hygiene practices and continue to implement safety measures to promote physical distancing:
Measures to support physical distancing:
- Where possible, fitness equipment has been spaced apart 3 metres or greater and will be clearly marked. To accommodate distancing, some equipment may be temporarily unavailable for use.
- Group Fitness classes will be modified to limit the number of participants based on the size of the studio or room.
- We will limit the number of members in our centres at any given time according to provincial guidelines. While access to the general conditioning floor area does not require pre-booking, Plus Membership acess, pool access and Group Fitness classes require pre-booking due to the limited space available.
- We have clear markings on the floor to indicate how far you will need to be from others at any given time, and signage throughout our buildings.
- In some facilities or spaces there may be directional flow for walking traffic.
Enhanced cleaning and hygiene:
- Staff members will be wearing protective equipment.
- All members will be required to wipe down equipment and workout spaces before and after use.
- Our Staff Team will be continuously disinfecting high touch surface areas and cleaning continuously throughout the day.
- Increased signage and hand sanitization stations to remind everyone to wash and sanitize their hands regularly.
- All members, participants, volunteers, and staff will be screened prior to entry.
- We have a booking system in place to allow members to book their time with us, helping us to control and meet provincial regulations for capacity.
- Areas or equipment that don't allow for physical distancing will remain temporarily closed.
- Members will be asked to bring some of their own equipment, including yoga mats, basketballs, and reusable water bottles and towels.
- We suggest that members arrive at the gym ready to work out as change rooms will have limited locker space and limited showers available to accommodate physical distancing.
How do I make sure that I receive communications and newsletters from the Y?
If you are a Y member and you haven't heard from us over email, we may not have your email address, or sometimes emails may end up in your Junk Mail. Please be sure to check and mark us as a safe sender. You can also request to be added to our Y Updates email list by sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject line of "Add me to your email list".
For those that prefer, our updates are always shared on our website and on social media, as well.
Where does the Y get health and safety guidance from?
Our Ys comply with all directives from our provincial and local public health authorities across the regions that we serve.
What programs, services and amenities are currently available?
We have carefully modified programs, amenities and protocols to meet provincial and local health guidelines. The following programs and services at the Taggart Family Y will be made available gradually during the month of September:
• Conditioning floor, Men’s and Women’s Plus and Dryland Group Fitness Classes
• Aquafit classes
• Swimming pools, open for lane swim, open swims and a modified Swim Lesson schedule
• Youth and children’s programming, including Child Minding
• Access to general change rooms and washrooms, showers available on a limited basis to accommodate physical distancing
• Men’s and Women’s Plus facilities open via a booking system to accommodate physical distancing
• Open to all Y members
Will I have to undergo a health screening when I enter the facility?
Yes. All members, participants, volunteers, and staff will be asked to complete a COVID-19 health screening prior to entering the facility. This screening process can be done in advance using our YMCA-YWCA NCR app or in person upon arrival. To learn more about how to complete your screening using the app, view our step by step instructions (PDF).
Will I need to pre-book my visit to the Y? How do I pre-book?
To ensure physical distancing measures we are required to limit the number of people in our facility and in each area to comply with capacity requirements.
- If you don't already have one, first set up your online Y account
- Once you are set up, log into your Y account. You will see a "make a booking" section at the top of the page. Follow the instructions, or view step by step instructions on using the booking tool (PDF).
Will I have to wear a mask while in the Y?
As per current Ottawa Public Health and Eastern Ontario Health Unit's requirements, you must wear a mask upon entry to the facility and in common areas, such a change rooms and bathrooms. According to health guidelines, you are not required to wear a mask while swimming, during high intensity fitness classes, or while using cardio equipment. Anyone who wishes to wear a mask may do so at any time.
What are your hours of operation?
Taggart Family Y (starting September 7, 2021)
Monday - Friday: 7AM-7PM
Clarence-Rockland Y (starting November 1, 2021)
Monday - Friday: 7AM-7PM
How can I put my membership on hold or request a refund?
We currently have all members on hold. We will reactivate members' accounts, only as we open facilities.
Please be sure to read our most recent member emails for more information. You can either join our mailing list, or click the links (English) below: