Reopening Health, Fitness & Aquatics
Update: July 15, 2021
Y Members and Supporters,
The Government of Ontario recently announced that the province will be moving into Step 3 of the Ontario reopening plan on Friday, July 16, 2021. In Step 3, fitness and recreation facilities are permitted to open with limits and restrictions in place.
We know you are excited to get back to your Y. However, due to capacity limits still in place, we have decided to delay re-opening our health, fitness, and aquatic facilities in order to focus on supporting children and families in need through our children’s camps, transitional family housing, childcare, vaccination clinics, and employment and newcomer services, which will continue to operate in Stage 3.
In the meantime, if you are looking for some online fitness options, remember to visit YMCA at Home to access free fitness classes and healthy activities for the whole family. The Bright Spot is also available for senior members looking to connect online.
Thank you for sticking with us, and for being a part of the Y. Have a wonderful summer, and we will reach out again soon with further updates as we develop our re-opening plan!
If you have questions, please reach out to our member service team: firstname.lastname@example.org
We know you are excited to get back to your fitness routine, and we are excited to see you! When we are able to, we will reopening our health, fitness and aquatics operations in a phased approach, one facility at a time, with gradual increases of services being offered.
Please be sure to read our most recent member emails for more information. You can either join our mailing list, or click the links (English) below:
- July 15, 2021 (PDF)
- March 18, 2021 (PDF)
- March 17, 2021 (PDF)
- February 26, 2021 (PDF)
- February 17, 2021 (PDF)
- January 14, 2021 (PDF)
Frequently Asked Questions (once reopened):
What health and safety measures are being put in place in your centres?
Nothing is more important than the health and safety or our members, participants, volunteers, and staff. We are following all regulations and guidelines from our government and public health officials to reduce the spread of COVID-19. We have enhanced cleaning and hygiene practices and are implementing new safety measures to promote physical distancing:
Measures to support physical distancing:
- Where possible, fitness equipment has been spaced apart 3 metres or greater and will be clearly marked. To accommodate distancing, some equipment may be temporarily unavailable for use.
- Group Fitness classes will be modified to limit the number of participants based on the size of the studio or room.
- We will limit the number of members in our centres at any given time. Members must book their time with us in advance.
- We have clear markings on the floor to indicate how far you will need to be from others at any given time, and signage throughout our buildings.
- In some facilities or spaces there may be directional flow for walking traffic.
Enhanced cleaning and hygiene:
- Staff members will be wearing protective equipment.
- All members will be required to wipe down equipment and workout spaces before and after use.
- Our Staff Team will be continuously disinfecting high touch surface areas and cleaning continuously throughout the day.
- Increased signage and hand sanitization stations to remind everyone to wash and sanitize their hands regularly.
- All members, participants, volunteers, and staff will be screened prior to entry.
- We have a booking system in place to allow members to book their time with us, helping us to control and meet provincial regulations for capacity.
- Areas or equipment that don't allow for physical distancing will remain temporarily closed.
- Members will be asked to bring some of their own equipment, including yoga mats, basketballs, and reusable water bottles.
- We suggest that members arrive at the gym ready to work out as change rooms will have limited locker space and no showers available (except for those rinsing off BEFORE swimming only).
How do I make sure that I receive communications and newsletters from the Y?
If you are a Y member and you haven't heard from us over email, we may not have your email address, or sometimes emails may end up in your Junk Mail. Please be sure to check and mark us as a safe sender. You can also request to be added to our Y Updates email list by sending an email to: email@example.com with a subject line of "Add me to your email list".
For those that prefer, our updates are always shared on our website and on social media, as well.
Where does the Y get health and safety guidance from?
Our Ys comply with all directives from our provincial and local public health authorities across the regions that we serve.
What programs, services and amenities are currently available?
We have carefully modified programs, amenities and protocols to meet provincial and local health guidelines. Currently, the following programs and services at the Taggart Family Y are available:
- Conditioning floor
- Limited group fitness and Aquafit classes
- Swimming pool is open for lane swim and Aquafit classes
- Access to general change rooms and bathrooms. Showers are only available to those who need to rinse off BEFORE swimming. PLUS change rooms are not open.
- Only open to adults 16Y+, and only open to Y members in Phase 2
Will I have to undergo a health screening when I enter the facility?
Yes. All members, participants, volunteers, and staff will be asked to complete a COVID-19 health screening prior to entering the facility.
Will I have to book an appointment prior to coming to the Y?
To ensure physical distancing measures we are required to limit the number of people in our facility and in each area to comply with capacity requirements. We ask that members use our online booking system to pre-book a time slot for their visit.
Please see the booking instructions detailed above on this webpage.
Will I have to wear a mask while in the Y?
As per current Ottawa Public Health requirements, you must wear a mask upon entry to the facility and in common areas, such a change rooms and bathrooms. According to health guidelines, you are not required to wear a mask while swimming, during high intensity fitness classes, or while using cardio equipment. Anyone who wishes to wear a mask may do so at any time.
What are your hours of operation?
We will be modifying our hours of operation when we reopen each centre.
How can I put my membership on hold or request a refund?
We currently have all members on hold. We will reactivate members' accounts, only as we open facilities.