Youth Advisor, Your Job Story (YJS) Y Isabella Location
Location: 150 Isabella St Suite 201, Ottawa, ON K1S 5H3
Type: Full-time, preferred start date as soon as possible
Preferred start date: Friday, Dec 09, 2022
Closing date: Monday, Dec 05, 2022
As one of the largest charitable community service organizations in Canada, the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region responds to critical social needs in the community and works to provide lasting solutions. Serving thousands of people across our region annually, we are a leader and valued partner in creating a vibrant and healthy community where everyone belongs and can reach their full potential. This position requires a commitment to the Y mission and core values of responsibility, honesty, caring, respect, and inclusion, which form the foundation of all Y programs and services.
Working for the Y
Are you looking to use your skills and unique gifts to make a real difference in your community? The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is a great workplace committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, where different backgrounds, experiences, and identities are appreciated and celebrated. The YMCA-YWCA provides hundreds of employees with meaningful jobs and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. We recognize the contributions of our staff through innovative practices, great benefits, and growth opportunities. Whether you are starting out in your career or a seasoned professional, you will find many exciting opportunities to achieve your personal and career goals. Some of the benefits of working for the Y include:
What we offer
At the Y, you will be part of a vibrant and diverse network of people whose shared vision is to change lives and make our communities home to the healthiest children, teens, adults, and families.
Our competitive wage and benefit package include:
- Free Y membership.
- Discounted Y program fees (including health & fitness programs, child care, and camps)
- Access to an Employee Assistance Program including free, immediate, confidential assistance and counselling for you and your family members for mental and physical health, financial advice, among other 12 suites of services
- Health and dental insurance for full-time, permanent employees
- Development courses at no cost in several areas
- 100% coverage for renewal of professional designations
- Up to 27 vacation days per year, including two float days and one birthday vacation for full-time, permanent staff
- Long-term disability and life insurance for full-time, permanent employees.
- Workplace pension plan available for full-time, permanent employees
- Extended Maternity leave benefits to all our staff for up to 6 more months after the year of leave.
What do you offer?
Reporting to the Director, Your Job Story Program, Youth Advisor is responsible to provide orientation information and consultation to the youth participants and developing and facilitating training workshops focusing on three key areas: essential skills, life skills, and pre-employment skills. The Youth Advisor will provide mentorship and assist youth in navigating their personal success plan as it relates to reentering the local labor market or training opportunities. As part of a team, the Youth Advisor is responsible for continually updating and developing course materials, resources and curriculum.
The Youth Advisor presents a professional appearance and attitude at all times and ensures excellent customer service is provided to participants through providing coaching and mentorship and general program delivery. The Youth Advisor ensures that the mission, purpose, image, and core values of the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region are conveyed to program participants and partners at all times.
Some of the tasks of this position include:
- Directly involved with participant recruitment and selection of youth aged 15-30
- Directly involved with participants in the setting/attaining of goals
- Building strong rapport with participants and assisting them in overcoming barriers
- Direct delivery and facilitation of group activities and workshops regularly
- Provide coaching and mentorship to the youth participants
- Provide further development to the Your Job Story program curriculum and activities
- Create and maintain employer contacts to assist in job matching with the youth
- Maintain accurate and timely records/statistics and evaluation information related to the activities undertaken/outcomes achieved
- Facilitate Pre-Employment coaching as well as job developing
What qualifications and abilities are we looking for?
At YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region, we strive to ensure our employees are a fit based on their strengths, interests, and future goals.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in Social Service Work or a related field essential
- Fluent in English and French, oral and written essential
- Other languages are considered an asset
Experience, Abilities & Skills
- Familiar with community resources is a strong asset
- Ingenuity and creativity are required to engage participants who are having difficulty acquiring certain skills or achieving a difficult goal
- Experience in providing coaching and mentorship
- Knowledge of mental health, drug and/or alcohol use is an asset
- Intermediate computer skills; use of the database, MS suite, and virtual platforms such as MS Teams
- Experience working with Youth in a supportive setting, at-risk youth, or youth with barriers
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to motivate and build rapport with diverse clients
- Excellent Customer Service Skills particularly as it relates to at-risk youth and Newcomers to Canada
- Must have access to a vehicle
- Applicants must already have a valid permit to work in Canada.
- Criminal Reference Check for the Vulnerable Sector, not more than 6 months old is required
- Annually all staff must complete the mandatory training for Protecting Children, Youth, and Vulnerable Persons and submit the certificate of completion.
- Organizational Awareness and Understanding: Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation for the vision, mission, and values of the National Capital Region YMCA-YWCA.
- Planning and Organization: Ability to establish a clearly defined and effective course of action for self and others to accomplish short and long-term work goals.
- Problem Solving: Ability to identify an issue, gather and process relevant information, determine possible solutions, select appropriate responses and implement and evaluate them.
- Communication and Interpersonal Skills: Ability to speak, write, listen and secure information in a variety of settings. Ability to cooperate with others to achieve results. Ability to create and build relationships inside and outside the organization.
- Teamwork: Participates actively in a team for program quality and effectiveness.
About diversity and inclusiveness at the Y:
Inclusiveness is a part of our core values and we are committed to ensuring the diversity of the people and communities we serve as well as our staff. We welcome candidates from racialized groups, invisible minorities, Indigenous People, women, persons with disabilities, and persons who identify as 2SLGBTQ+.
How to apply?
All internal applicants must inform their supervisor of their intention to apply for the position. Internal applicants can apply only after completing the probationary period of their current job unless approved by People and Culture.
Applications must be submitted to the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region, and all cover letters should be addressed to Vanessa McNicoll. Please send applications to Director, Your Job Story, Vanessa McNicoll (firstname.lastname@example.org )
Thank you for your interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please advise in advance if you require any accommodation during this process. We believe all people have the right to live free from discrimination or harassment of any kind.