Maintenance and Cleaning Staff, Camp (Bonnenfant Y Outdoor Centre)
Location: 1620 Sixth Line Rd RR #1, Dunrobin, ON
Type: Seasonal contract preferred start date May 2, 2022 with hourly rate of $ 15.00
Preferred start date: Monday, May 02, 2022
Closing date: Sunday, May 01, 2022
As one of the largest charitable community service organizations in Canada, the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region responds to critical social needs in the community and works to provide lasting solutions. Serving thousands of people across our region annually, we are a leader and valued partner in creating a vibrant and healthy community where everyone belongs and can reach their full potential. This position requires a commitment to the Y mission and core values of responsibility, honesty, caring, respect, and inclusion, which form the foundation of all Y programs and services.
Working for the Y
Are you looking to use your skills and unique gifts to make a real difference in your community? The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is a great workplace committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, where different backgrounds, experiences, and identities are appreciated and celebrated. The YMCA-YWCA provides hundreds of employees with meaningful jobs and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. We recognize the contributions of our staff through innovative practices, great benefits, and growth opportunities. Whether you are starting out in your career or a seasoned professional, you will find many exciting opportunities to achieve your personal and career goals. Some of the benefits of working for the Y include:
What we offer
At the Y, you will be part of a vibrant and diverse network of people whose shared vision is to change lives and make our communities home to the healthiest children, teens, adults, and families. Our competitive wage and benefit package includes:
- Free Y membership.
- Access to an Employee Assistance Program
What you offer?
The Camp Maintenance and Cleaning staff position must ensure a clean and safe camp environment that maintains Y standards and meets Y expectations at all times.
This position requires a commitment to the Y mission and core values of responsibility, honesty, caring, and respect, which form the foundation of all Y programs and services
Some of the tasks of this position include:
- Operation of the heating and cooling system, including monitoring of gauges and control systems, troubleshooting, minor repairs, and preventative maintenance of equipment
- Advise management of the area in need of long term and or immediate attention
- Provide hands-on services in the area of cleaning
- Ensure prescribed cleaning procedures and sequences are followed in line with COVID-19 policies and procedures
- Ensure that proper cleaning products and tools are used according to directions
- General repairs to walls including patching, sanding & painting
- Change lights & ballasts and clean lenses, as needed
- Lock changes
- General cleaning duties in front and back of house areas.
- Facility grounds maintenance including lawn cutting, snow removal, etc. (Winter months may require an early start for snow removal)
- Conduct preventative maintenance tasks on facility equipment outlined by the Branch Manager
- Basic plumbing repairs including unplugging sinks & toilets
- Basic electrical repairs including repairs to receptacles, light switches and ballasts
- Operates hand tools such as saws, drills, etc.
- Follows safe work practices and wears appropriate personal protective equipment (fall assist would be an asset)
- Completes work orders as assigned
What qualifications and abilities are we looking for?
At YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region, we strive to ensure our employees are a fit based on their strengths, interests, and future goals.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Ability to work in English
- Bilingualism an asset
Experience, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Superior problem solving and creative skills
- This position has a strong client focus and service orientation
- Create a strong presence and provide a welcoming environment
- Knowledge of cleaning products, material, equipment, and techniques
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to read and follow cleaning and safety standards to complete assigned duties to the quality level established
- WHMIS certified (or willing to attain)
- Current Standard First Aid & CPR-C certifications
- Knowledge of basic facility maintenance functions such as painting, plumbing, electrical and general repairs
- Experience in landscaping duties, including lawn care, wood chipping, raking, etc.
- Experience dealing with clients in a positive and professional manner
- Ability to provide flexibility in scheduling based on the camp’s needs
- Applicants must already have a valid permit to work in Canada.
- Criminal Reference Check for the Vulnerable Sector, not more than 6 months old is required
- As a condition of employment, in accordance with the COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement Policy for Staff and Volunteers, you are required to provide proof that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have a valid exemption.
- Annually all staff must complete the mandatory training for the Protecting Children, Youth, and Vulnerable Persons, and submit the certificate of completion.
- Effective Interactive Communication: the ability to transmit and receive information clearly and communicate effectively to others by considering their points of view in order to respond appropriately. It includes using tact and diplomacy in all communications as well as the ability to convey ideas and information, both orally and in writing, in a way that brings understanding to the target audience.
- Integrity: Demonstration of conduct consistent with values and ethics
- Teamwork and collaboration: The ability to collaborate effectively with others, to be part of a team and to promote quality work through effective contribution to others’ efforts.
- Concern for Health and Safety: Demonstrating high concern for the health and safety of all team members, giving extra attention to Y’s guidelines on workplace safety.
- Service Orientation: Focusing one’s efforts on discovering and meeting the clients’ needs. It implies a desire to help or serve others, to meet their needs.
- Risk Management: Ability to apply knowledge and skills to identify potential risks in advance, analyze them and take precautionary steps to reduce/curb the risk.
- Relationship Building: The ability to build and/or maintain reciprocal and friendly relationships with networks of people who may be able to partner or assist in moving an agenda forward or furthering the organization’s goals.
- Quality Focus: Taking pride in ensuring that tasks are completed with a focus on accuracy and quality by monitoring and checking work or information, insisting on clarity of roles and functions, planning, etc.
- Leadership: Taking a role as leader of a team or other group. It implies a desire to lead others using soft power and interpersonal skills.
About diversity and inclusiveness at the Y:
Inclusiveness is a part of our core values and we are committed to ensuring the diversity of the people and communities we serve and as well as our staff. We welcome candidates from racialized groups, invisible minorities, Indigenous People, women, persons with disabilities, persons who identify as 2SLGBTQ+.
How to apply?
All internal applicants must inform their supervisor of their intention to apply for the position. Internal applicants can apply only after completing the probationary period of their current job, unless approved by People and Culture.
Applications must be submitted to the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region, and all cover letters should be addressed to Sara Pinsky. Please send applications to Program Manager, Camp Otonabee Director, Sara Pinsky (email@example.com)
Thank you for your interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please advise in advance if you require any accommodation during this process. We believe all people have the right to live free from discrimination or harassment of any kind.