Lifeguard / Instructor, (HFA) Taggart Y Location
Location: Taggart Family Y, 180 Argyle Ave, Ottawa
Type: Part-time, preferred start date as soon as possible and position will remain posted until filled
Preferred start date: Monday, Jul 04, 2022
Closing date: Saturday, Dec 31, 2022
As one of the largest charitable community service organizations in Canada, the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region responds to critical social needs in the community and works to provide lasting solutions. Serving thousands of people across our region annually, we are a leader and valued partner in creating a vibrant and healthy community where everyone belongs and can reach their full potential. This position requires a commitment to the Y mission and core values of responsibility, honesty, caring, respect, and inclusion, which form the foundation of all Y programs and services.
Working for the Y
Are you looking to use your skills and unique gifts to make a real difference in your community? The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is a great workplace committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, where different backgrounds, experiences, and identities are appreciated and celebrated. The YMCA-YWCA provides hundreds of employees with meaningful jobs and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. We recognize the contributions of our staff through innovative practices, great benefits, and growth opportunities. Whether you are starting out in your career or a seasoned professional, you will find many exciting opportunities to achieve your personal and career goals. Some of the benefits of working for the Y include:
What we offer
At the Y, you will be part of a vibrant and diverse network of people whose shared vision is to change lives and make our communities home to the healthiest children, teens, adults, and families.
Our competitive wage and benefit package include:
- Free Y membership.
- Discounted Y program fees (including health & fitness programs, child care, and camps)
- Development courses at no cost in several areas
- 100% coverage for renewal of professional designations
- Access to an Employee Assistance Program
- Extended Maternity leave to all our staff for up to 6 more months after the year of leave.
What do you offer?
Some of the tasks of this position include:
- Provide a supportive and welcoming environment for all, ensuring excellent quality programs and services are delivered to all program members and potential program members.
- Demonstrate YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility
- Act as a team member, possessing excellent judgment, flexibility, decisiveness, and energy
- Actively interact and ‘build relationships’ with program members to help ensure member experiences are enhanced, members are successful, and retained
- Promote and encourage all members to participate to their fullest potential
- Promptly respond to program member and participant inquiries and concerns.
- Implement member involvement activities and events, which will work to strengthen members' commitment and sense of belonging to the Y
- Adhere to emergency guidelines and procedures; understanding their risks
- Be a contributing team member and share in the overall responsibilities of the day-to-day operations
- Work to ensure the facility is clean and safe at all times, taking responsibility for the Pool areas specifically
- Ensure pool equipment is well maintained
- Complete all other administrative responsibilities and duties
- Attend training sessions as required
What qualifications and abilities are we looking for?
At YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region, we strive to ensure our employees are a fit based on their strengths, interests, and future goals.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Post-secondary education or equivalent in a related field
- Fluent in English, oral and written
Experience, Abilities & Skills
- Excellent customer service, interpersonal and communication skills
- Basic understanding of pool operations
- Physical fitness to be maintained
- Must maintain a calm and professional demeanor in high-stress situations
- Additional aquatic qualifications are considered an asset
- Previous experience as a Lifeguard is considered an asset
- Ability to recognize, assess and react promptly and appropriately in emergencies
- Excellent customer service, interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work with clients and staff with diverse needs, backgrounds, and skills
- YMCA, Red Cross, or Lifesaving Society Swim Instructors certification
- YMCA, Speedo, or CALA Aqua Fitness are considered asset certifications
- Current National Lifeguard (NL) certification
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR C
- Current WHMIS certification
- Criminal Reference Check for the Vulnerable Sector, not more than 6 months old is required
- As a condition of employment, in accordance with the COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement Policy for Staff and Volunteers, you are required to provide proof that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have a valid exemption.
- Annually all staff must complete the mandatory training for the Protecting Children, Youth, and Vulnerable Persons, and submit the certificate of completion.
- COMMITMENT TO Y VISION AND VALUES – Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of an appreciation for the mission, vision, strategic outcomes, and values of the YMCA-YWCA.
- LEADERSHIP – Motivates and inspires others to take action and achieve desired outcomes.
- QUALITY FOCUS – Ensures that success criteria for self are set, reviewed, and surpassed regularly to provide excellent service delivery.
- RESULTS ORIENTED – The ability to manage and lead to achieve and exceed identified goals.
- SERVICE ORIENTATION – Deliberately identifies and creates opportunities to enhance each and every person’s YMCA-YWCA experience.
- TEAMWORK – The ability to work effectively with others to achieve optimal collective results.
About diversity and inclusiveness at the Y:
Inclusiveness is a part of our core values and we are committed to ensuring the diversity of the people and communities we serve as well as our staff. We welcome candidates from racialized groups, invisible minorities, Indigenous People, women, persons with disabilities, and persons who identify as 2SLGBTQ+.
How to apply?
All internal applicants must inform their supervisor of their intention to apply for the position. Internal applicants can apply only after completing the probationary period of their current job unless approved by People and Culture.
Applications must be submitted to the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region, and all cover letters should be addressed to Brian Robertson. Please send applications to the Senior Coordinator, Aquatics, Brian Robertson (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Thank you for your interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please advise in advance if you require any accommodation during this process. We believe all people have the right to live free from discrimination or harassment of any kind.