Job Developer (2)
Location: Ottawa - TBD
Type: Full-Time Permanent
Preferred start date: Monday, Apr 12, 2021
Closing date: Sunday, Apr 11, 2021
As one of the largest charitable community service organizations in Canada, the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region responds to critical social needs in the community and works to provide solutions. Serving more than 90,000 children, youth, and adults across our region annually, we are committed to promoting healthy living and fostering social responsibility within the community. This position requires a commitment to the Y mission and core values of responsibility, honesty, caring, and respect, which form the foundation of all Y programs and services.
Nature and Scope
The Job Developer of Constructing the Future will work as part of the team that provides employment services and technical training to unemployed and underemployed individuals wishing to pursue a career in the Green Building Construction field in Ontario (1 position) and to Immigrant Women exploring careers in the Skilled Trades (1 position). Reporting to the Director and the Senior Director of Immigrant Employment Programs, the Job Developer is responsible for ensuring the program facilitation is seamless, ensuring that there is sufficient community awareness for the program, and providing support to program participants. The successful candidate will demonstrate a personal commitment to and understanding of the Y’s mission, vision, values, and participant outcomes.
Some of the tasks of this position include:
- Responsible for the recruitment, selection, and deselection of program participants
- Facilitation of workshops
- Connecting program participants to local employers in the industry – securing paid work placements and job trials
- Work as a liaison between participants and employer to ensure a seamless transition and learning in the workplace
- Determine current employees requiring skill upgrade to register for the program
- Fluent in English, oral and written essential
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in a related educational field
- Experience in job development/matching and/or employment counseling
- Ability to showcase program participants skills to Construction and Trades employers
- Related experience might include: Recruitment Training, Human Resources Certification, Social Services Worker Diploma or Developmental Services Worker Diploma
- Experience with diverse employers in an employment context
- Connection and knowledge to the Construction and/or Green Building and/or Skilled Trades industry in Ottawa
- Experience with diverse individuals in a training context
- Intermediate computer skills; use of databases, MS suite, and virtual meeting platforms
- Ability to work with clients with diverse backgrounds and skill levels
- Awareness and willingness to develop community supports and partners
- Ability to be flexible, adaptable, and multi-task in the high demand environment
- The high degree of independence and initiative within a team environment
- Proven responsibility to coordinate tasks and work as part of a team
- Ability to process and track financial supports for participants
- Strong facilitation skills with proven experience in developing curriculum in career readiness, pre-employment, and life skills within an employment program setting
- Superior problem solving and creative skills
- This position has a strong client focus and service orientation
- Applicants must already have a valid permit to work in Canada.
- Must provide a Criminal Reference Check for the Vulnerable Sector, as per Association policy
- Must have access to transportation
- Organizational Awareness and Understanding: Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation for the vision, mission, and values of the National Capital Region YMCA-YWCA.
- Planning and Organization: Ability to establish a clearly defined and effective course of action for self and others to accomplish short and long-term work goals.
- Problem Solving: Ability to identify and issue, gather and process relevant information, determine possible solutions, select appropriate responses and implement and evaluate them.
- Communication and Interpersonal Skills: Ability to speak, write, listen and secure information in a variety of settings. Ability to cooperate with others to achieve results. Ability to create and build relationships inside and outside the organization.
- Teamwork: Participates actively in a team for program quality and effectiveness.
- Empathy: Ability to walk in another’s shoes, familiarity and comfort with issues, concerns, and lifestyles of the program target groups, win the trust and confidence of people, and accept diversity.
- Leadership: Ability to motivate and inspire self and others to take action to achieve desired outcomes, and identify and secure resources necessary to accomplish organizational goals.
- Coaching and Development: Ability to commit to assisting participants, volunteers, and staff in continuous learning and development, shares knowledge and experience, listens, hears, and responds to participants.
- Self-Management: Ability to work independently within prescribed parameters, discern the relevance of issues, and communicate them effectively to program and administrative supervisors.
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted no later than the closing date to the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region, Attn: Melanie Vaughan, hiring manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please use the position title as the subject line in your application e-mail.
All internal applicants must inform their supervisors of their intention to apply for the position.
The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer. Please advise in advance if you require any accommodation during the application or selection process. We believe all people have the right to live free from discrimination or harassment of any kind. Any information you send us will be handled respectfully and in complete confidence.
The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is committed to providing a safe environment for children. Candidates will be thoroughly screened using background checks and a review process.
Thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.