Housing Services Support Clerk, Housing Services (Taggart Location)
Location: Taggart Family Y, 180 Argyle Ave, Ottawa
Type: Part-time Casual, preferred start date August 20, 2022 with rate of pay set at $15 hourly
Preferred start date: Saturday, Aug 20, 2022
Closing date: Tuesday, Aug 16, 2022
As one of the largest charitable community service organizations in Canada, the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region responds to critical social needs in the community and works to provide lasting solutions. Serving thousands of people across our region annually, we are a leader and valued partner in creating a vibrant and healthy community where everyone belongs and can reach their full potential. This position requires a commitment to the Y mission and core values of responsibility, honesty, caring, respect, and inclusion, which form the foundation of all Y programs and services.
Working for the Y
Are you looking to use your skills and unique gifts to make a real difference in your community? The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is a great workplace committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, where different backgrounds, experiences, and identities are appreciated and celebrated. The YMCA-YWCA provides hundreds of employees with meaningful jobs and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. We recognize the contributions of our staff through innovative practices, great benefits, and growth opportunities. Whether starting out in your career or a seasoned professional, you will find many exciting opportunities to achieve your personal and career goals. Some of the benefits of working for the Y include:
What we offer
At the Y, you will be part of a vibrant and diverse network of people whose shared vision is to change lives and make our communities home to the healthiest children, teens, adults, and families.
Our competitive wage and benefit package include:
- Free Y membership.
- Discounted Y program fees (including health & fitness programs, child care, and camps)
- Access to an Employee Assistance Program including free, immediate, confidential assistance and counseling for you and your family members for mental and physical health, and financial advice, among other 12 suites of services
What do you offer?
The Housing Services Support Clerk will work as part of the Housing Services Team that provides programs and services for individuals with affordable/social housing needs including supportive housing, emergency shelter, youth transitional housing, counseling, and referral. As Residence Sales & Services Front Desk, you will be responsible for providing desk clerk services to guests, residents, staff, members, and the general public.
The successful candidate will demonstrate a personal commitment to and understanding of the Y’s mission, vision, and values.
Some of the tasks of this position include:
- Provide general information to individuals and agencies regarding eligibility for housing in the Y’s Housing
- Liaise as required with maintenance and cleaners
- Enter service information into a database
Association Wide Responsibility
- Answer association main switchboard and redirect calls if needed
- Troubleshoot automated parking complaints.
- Monitor radio systems
- Maintain and update association work order system
- Assist with Association philanthropy initiatives
- Maintain and update evacuation list
- Accurately document events/incidents and records in folios, logs, or on appropriate forms and communicate information to team members and supervisor as required
- Attend staff meetings and participate as a member of the broader Y (committees, activities, events) as required
- Maintain client confidentiality and ensure that all files and records are secure
What qualifications and abilities are we looking for?
At YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region, we strive to ensure our employees are a fit based on their strengths, interests, and future goals.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- High School Diploma or equivalent in a related field
- Fluent in English, oral and written essential
- Bilingual preferred and other languages an asset
Experience, Abilities & Skills
- Previous experience in the front office, customer service, or cash management
- Knowledge and sensitivity in dealing with individuals with homelessness, addictions, and mental health issues
- Excellent knowledge of community resources
- Have a high degree of initiative and adaptability
- Must have sensitivity in providing services to a vulnerable population
- Ability to work with clients with diverse backgrounds and needs
- First Aid and CPR training
- Proficient in MS Office Suite and a reasonable level of computer skills
- Applicants must already have a valid permit to work in Canada.
- Criminal Reference Check for the Vulnerable Sector, not more than 6 months old is required
- As a condition of employment, in accordance with the COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement Policy for Staff and Volunteers, you are required to provide proof that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have a valid exemption.
- Annually all staff must complete the mandatory training for the Protecting Children, Youth, and Vulnerable Persons, and submit the certificate of completion.
- Commitment to YMCA-YWCA Vision and Values: Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation for the mission, vision strategic outcomes, and values of the YMCA-YWCA.
- Organizational Awareness and Understanding: Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation for the vision, mission, and values of the National Capital Region YMCA-YWCA.
- Planning and Organization: Ability to work independently and as part of the team to meet program goals and provide high-quality service delivery.
- Problem Solving: Ability to identify an issue, gather and process relevant information, determine possible solutions, select appropriate responses and implement and evaluate them.
- Communication and Interpersonal Skills: Ability to communicate accurately and effectively both orally and written to clients, coworkers, and collaterals.
- Teamwork: Participates actively in a team for program quality and effectiveness.
- Quality Focus and Results Oriented: provide a high standard of service delivery consistent with contractual obligations
About diversity and inclusiveness at the Y:
Inclusiveness is a part of our core values and we are committed to ensuring the diversity of the people and communities we serve as well as our staff. We welcome candidates from racialized groups, invisible minorities, Indigenous People, women, persons with disabilities, and persons who identify as 2SLGBTQ+.
How to apply?
All internal applicants must inform their supervisor of their intention to apply for the position. Internal applicants can apply only after completing the probationary period of their current job unless approved by People and Culture.
Applications must be submitted to the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region, and all cover letters should be addressed to Margaret Diaz. Please send applications to Director, Housing Services, Margaret Diaz (email@example.com)
Thank you for your interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please advise in advance if you require any accommodation during this process. We believe all people have the right to live free from discrimination or harassment of any kind.