Employment Consultant, Employment Access Centre (Merivale Location)
Location: Y Merivale - 1642 Merivale Rd Suite 2000
Type: Full-Time Contract ending March 31, 2022, preferred start date October 11th, 2021
Preferred start date: Monday, Oct 11, 2021
Closing date: Friday, Oct 01, 2021
As one of the largest charitable community service organizations in Canada, the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region responds to critical social needs in the community and works to provide lasting solutions. Serving thousands of people across our region annually, we are a leader and valued partner in creating a vibrant and healthy community where everyone belongs and can reach their full potential. This position requires a commitment to the Y mission and core values of responsibility, honesty, caring, respect, and inclusion, which form the foundation of all Y programs and services.
Working for the Y
Are you looking to use your skills and unique gifts to make a real difference in your community? The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is a great workplace committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, where different backgrounds, experiences, and identities are appreciated and celebrated. The YMCA-YWCA provides hundreds of employees with meaningful jobs and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. We recognize the contributions of our staff through innovative practices, great benefits, and growth opportunities. Whether you are starting out in your career or a seasoned professional, you will find many exciting opportunities to achieve your personal and career goals. Some of the benefits of working for the Y include:
What we offer
At the Y, you will be part of a vibrant and diverse network of people whose shared vision is to change lives and make our communities home to the healthiest children, teens, adults, and families.
Our competitive wage and benefit package include:
- Free Y membership.
- Discounted Y program fees (including health & fitness programs, child care, and camps)
- Health and dental insurance for full-time, permanent employees
- Development courses at no cost in several areas
- 100% coverage for renewal of professional designations
- Up to 27 vacation days per year, including two float days and one birthday vacation for full-time, permanent staff
- Access to an Employee Assistance Program
- Short-term disability for all staff; long-term disability and life insurance for full-time, permanent employees.
- Workplace pension plan available for full-time, permanent employees
- Extended Maternity leave benefits to all our staff up to 6 more months after the year of leave.
What you offer?
Some of the tasks of this position include:
- Researching, creating, and delivering curriculum, opportunities, and resources
- Counselling, coaching, follow up and mentoring
- Facilitation of workshops
- Ensuring effective, efficient use of resources
- Ensuring quality of the Y experience for program participants
- Preparing all statistical and required reports and appropriate file documentation
- Implementing procedures for the operation of programs within the guidelines and contractual obligations
What qualifications and abilities are we looking for?
At YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region, we strive to ensure our employees are a fit based on their strengths, interests, and future goals.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Post-Secondary degree in a related educational field
- Bilingual English and French essential. Fluent in both languages, oral and written
- Career practitioner or other relevant experience in the sector
- The related experience might include: Job Finding Club certification, Common Assessment training, Personality Dimensions Certification, Life Skills Certification, Teaching and Training Adults Certification, Drug and Alcohol Counselling Diploma, Social Services
- Experience with diverse individuals in an employment context
- Experience in Employment Counselling
- Experience with case management and data entry
- Experience in resolving customer concerns as they arise. It must adhere to the YMCA-YWCA Customer Service Charter to ensure complaints are dealt with promptly.
- Must have experience in employment services specifically Employment Ontario
- High level of interpersonal oral and written communication skills
- Superior problem solving and creative skills
- Intermediate computer skills
- Ability to work with adult and youth clients with diverse backgrounds and skill levels
- Strong client focus and service orientation
- Ability to maintain high standards in program delivery and service to the community and clients
- Create a strong presence and provide a welcoming environment
- Ability to work with community partners and build and maintain relationships
- Prepared to work extra time on an occasional basis to complete work for special events
- Applicants must already have a valid permit to work in Canada.
- Prior to the start date, you will be required to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 or have a valid exemption.
- Criminal Reference Check for the Vulnerable Sector, not more than 6 months old is required
- Annually all staff must complete the mandatory training for the Protecting Children, Youth, and Vulnerable Persons, and submit the certificate of completion.
- Organizational Awareness and Understanding: Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation for the vision, mission, and values of the National Capital Region YMCA-YWCA.
- Planning and Organization: Ability to establish a clearly defined and effective course of action for self and others to accomplish short and long-term work goals.
- Problem Solving: Ability to identify an issue, gather and process relevant information, determine possible solutions, select appropriate responses and implement and evaluate them.
- Communication and Interpersonal Skills: Ability to speak, write, listen and secure information in a variety of settings. Ability to cooperate with others to achieve results. Ability to create and build relationships inside and outside the organization.
- Teamwork: Participates actively in a team for program quality and effectiveness.
About diversity and inclusiveness at the Y:
Inclusiveness is a part of our core values and we are committed to ensuring the diversity of the people and communities we serve and as well as our staff. We welcome candidates from racialized groups, invisible minorities, Indigenous People, women, persons with disabilities, persons who identify as 2SLGBTQ+.
How to apply?
All internal applicants must inform their supervisor of their intention to apply for the position. Internal applicants can apply only after completing the probationary period of their current job unless approved by People and Culture.
Applications must be submitted to the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region, and all cover letters should be addressed to Sebastien Martin. Please send applications to Director, Employment Access Centre Merivale location, Sebastien Martin ( email@example.com ).
Thank you for your interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please advise in advance if you require any accommodation during this process. We believe all people have the right to live free from discrimination or harassment of any kind.