Location: Y Employment Access Centre (YEAC) - 1642 Merivale Rd Suite 2000, Ottawa
Type: Full-time Permanent
Preferred start date: Monday, May 17, 2021
Closing date: Friday, May 07, 2021
As one of the largest charitable community service organizations in Canada, the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region responds to critical social needs in the community and works to provide solutions. Serving more than 90,000 children, youth, and adults across our region annually, we are committed to promoting healthy living and fostering social responsibility within the community. This position requires a commitment to the Y mission and core values of responsibility, honesty, caring, and respect, which form the foundation of all Y programs and services.
Nature and Scope
The Employment Consultant will work as part of the team that provides Employment Counselling services to unemployed individuals in the National Capital Region. Reporting to the Director, the Employment Counsellor is responsible for the planning and delivery of Employment Counselling services and the facilitation of the application process for the Government-funded training programs. As part of a team, the Employment Consultant will assist in meeting the strategic achievement of all desired outcomes and targets. The successful candidate will demonstrate a personal commitment to and understanding of the Y’s mission, vision, values, and participant outcomes.
- Researching, creating, and delivering curriculum, opportunities, and resources
- Counselling, coaching, follow up and mentoring
- Facilitation of workshops
- Ensuring effective, efficient use of resources
- Ensuring quality of the Y experience for program participants
- Preparing all statistical and required reports and appropriate file documentation
- Implementing procedures for the operation of programs within the guidelines and contractual obligations
- Organizational Awareness and Understanding: Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation for the vision, mission, and values of the National Capital Region YMCA-YWCA.
- Planning and Organization: Ability to establish a clearly defined and effective course of action for self and others to accomplish short and long-term work goals.
- Problem Solving: Ability to identify and issue, gather and process relevant information, determine possible solutions, select appropriate responses and implement and evaluate them.
- Communication and Interpersonal Skills: Ability to speak, write, listen and secure information in a variety of settings. Ability to cooperate with others to achieve results. Ability to create and build relationships inside and outside the organization.
- Teamwork: Participates actively in a team for program quality and effectiveness.
- Fluency in English (oral and written) is essential, French and other languages an asset.
- Career practitioner or other relevant experience in the sector
- Post-Secondary degree in a related educational field
- The related experience might include: Job Finding Club certification, Common Assessment training, Personality Dimensions Certification, Life Skills Certification, Teaching and Training Adults Certification, Drug and Alcohol Counselling Diploma, Social Services
- Experience with diverse individuals in an employment context
- Experience in Employment Counselling
- Must have experience in employment services specifically Employment Ontario
- High level of interpersonal oral and written communication skills
- Superior problem solving and creative skills
- Ability to work with adult and youth clients with diverse backgrounds and skill levels
- Must have the ability to work from home until the office re-opens
- Applicants must already have a valid permit to work in Canada
- Criminal Reference Check for the Vulnerable Sector, not more than 6 months old is required
- Annually all staff must complete the mandatory training for the Protecting Children, Youth, and Vulnerable Persons, and submit the certificate of completion.
How to Apply
Cover letter and resume must be submitted no later than the closing date to the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region, Attn: Sebastien Martin, hiring manager: email@example.com
Please use the position title as the subject line in your application e-mail.
All internal applicants must inform their supervisors of their intention to apply for the position.
The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer. Please advise in advance if you require any accommodation during the application or selection process. We believe all people have the right to live free from discrimination or harassment of any kind. Any information you send us will be handled respectfully and in complete confidence.
The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is committed to providing a safe environment for children. Candidates will be thoroughly screened using background checks and a review process.
Thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.