Child Care Supply Educator - Ruddy Family Y
Location: Ruddy Family Y | 265 Centrum Blvd, Orleans
Type: Casual, on call
Preferred Start Date: Friday, Oct 09, 2020
Closing Date: Thursday, Dec 31, 2020
As one of the largest charitable community service organizations in the National Capital Region, the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region responds to critical social needs in the community and works to provide meaningful solutions. Serving more than 90,000 children, youth and adults across our region annually, we are committed to promoting healthy living and fostering social responsibility within the community. This position requires a commitment to the Y mission and core values of responsibility, honesty, caring, respect, and inclusion, which form the foundation of all Y programs and services.
Nature and Scope
The National Capital Region YMCA-YWCA Licensed Child Care programs provide quality care for 250 children and their families across the region. Each Centre offers care for different age groups ranging from 18 months to 12 years of age. The Child Care programs operate year-round focusing on healthy child development in an inviting and nurturing environment. In addition, parents play an integral role in our program through mutual respect as partners in fostering a positive experience in which their children can grow and develop.
The educator will function as a team member responsible for the development and maintenance of high quality programs for children and families. This person will be an active part of the service delivery team for Licensed Child Care.
The educator is accountable to the Senior Coordinator, Child Care for the implementation of the program for a specific age group in accordance with program policies and philosophy. The program should meet with the needs of the individual child with concerns for his or her interests, special needs, talents and individual style for and pace of learning. The educator must be courteous and professional in dealing with parents, all members and the general public. The educator is a role model to staff, children and customers, and must exemplify YMCA-YWCA values, and maintain a high standard of work ethic.
Some of the tasks of this position include:
- Create an educational, safe, clean and enjoyable environment for children by planning and implementing age appropriate programs to meet children’s social, emotional, physical, educational and individual needs under the Y Playing to Learn curriculum.
- Foster self-esteem, problem solving and conflict resolution skills in children.
- Develop and maintain constructive and open communication with staff.
- Understand and follow through on all YMCA-YWCA policies, procedures and guidelines, as outlined in the Policies and Procedures manual and Parent Handbook.
- Participate in a team teaching approach in the supervision of the children and the development of the program.
- The preparation of snack and housekeeping duties for the Child Care Programs on a rotational basis with other educators.
- Support the charitable and philanthropic efforts of the Association.
Some of the core competencies required for this position include:
- Communication: Communicates in a thorough, clear and timely manner and supports information sharing and goal achievement across the Association.
- Integrity: Demonstrates responsible behaviour at all times and maintains high ethical standards.
- Teamwork: Participates actively in a team for organizational effectiveness. Creates an atmosphere of trust among all team members.
- Concern for Health and Safety: Acknowledges and understands how to manage and educate others of risk and harm reduction.
- Creativity and Innovation: Plans and implements quality programming in a developmentally appropriate environment.
- ECE diploma or CECE recognized equivalency an asset
- Member in good standing of the College of Early Childhood Educators of Ontario as required
- Minimum two years’ experience working with children
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR ‘C’ Certifications
- Highly motivated, enthusiastic and responsible individual with strong leadership skills committed to the healthy development of children
- High level of interpersonal and written skills
- Criminal Reference Check for the Vulnerable Sector, not more than 6 months old is required
- Annually all staff must complete the mandatory training for the Protecting Children, Youth, and Vulnerable Persons, and submit the certificate of completion
How to Apply
A cover letter and resume must be submitted no later than the closing date to the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region, hiring manager, Rebecca Van Lanen at email@example.com
Please use the position title as the subject line in your application e-mail.
All internal applicants must inform their supervisor of their intention to apply for the position.
The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer. Please advise in advance if you require any accommodation during the application or selection process. We believe all people have the right to live free from discrimination or harassment of any kind. Any information you send us will be handled respectfully and in complete confidence.
The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is committed to providing a safe environment for children. Candidates will be thoroughly screened using background checks and a review process.
Thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.