Camp Counsellor, Neighbourhood Day Camps (Various Locations)
Location: Various Location
Type: Part-time Contract, preferred start date June 27, 2022, $ 15.15 per hour
Preferred start date: Monday, Jun 27, 2022
Closing date: Friday, Jun 24, 2022
As one of the largest charitable community service organizations in Canada, the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region responds to critical social needs in the community and works to provide lasting solutions. Serving thousands of people across our region annually, we are a leader and valued partner in creating a vibrant and healthy community where everyone belongs and can reach their full potential. This position requires a commitment to the Y mission and core values of responsibility, honesty, caring, respect, and inclusion, which form the foundation of all Y programs and services.
Working for the Y
Are you looking to use your skills and unique gifts to make a real difference in your community? The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is a great workplace committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, where different backgrounds, experiences, and identities are appreciated and celebrated. The YMCA-YWCA provides hundreds of employees with meaningful jobs and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. We recognize the contributions of our staff through innovative practices, great benefits, and growth opportunities. Whether you are starting out in your career or a seasoned professional, you will find many exciting opportunities to achieve your personal and career goals. Some of the benefits of working for the Y include:
What we offer
At the Y, you will be part of a vibrant and diverse network of people whose shared vision is to change lives and make our communities home to the healthiest children, teens, adults, and families.
Our competitive wage and benefit package include:
- Free Y membership.
- Access to an Employee Assistance Program
What you offer?
The Camp Counsellor will function as a team member responsible for the maintenance of high-quality programs by creating an educational, safe, clean, and enjoyable environment for children. This person will be an active part of the Y Neighbourhood Day Camp team and will be expected to contribute in all program areas at one of our four centers. They will not be solely responsible for the deliverance of all program areas but will be assisted by certified staff members.
Some of the tasks of this position include:
- Programming: To lead and participate in all programs and to actively swim each day with the campers. Delivering programming based on skill level, and age of participants
- Administration: Complete all necessary paperwork accurately and in a timely manner (site checks, program paperwork, incident reports, pre-camp phone calls, staff meetings, and parent feedback).
- Safety: To be responsible for the safety, supervision, and security of all participants in your care at all times following the YMCA Policies and Procedures
- To participate with the children in a positive and supportive manner using the Healthy Childhood Development frameworks.
- Demonstrate strong support and commitment to the mission and core values of the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region and Y Canada.
- Demonstrate strong support and commitment to serving the membership, facility users, and all program participants of the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region.
- Develop and maintain an open, constructive, and professional relationship with program participants, caregivers, volunteers, co-workers, and supervisors
- Assuming other duties as assigned
What qualifications and abilities are we looking for?
At YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region, we strive to ensure our employees are a fit based on their strengths, interests, and future goals.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- High School Diploma, Post-Secondary Education, ECE certification an asset
- Fluent in English, oral and written
- Bilingualism is an asset
Experience, Skills, and Abilities
- Current Standard First Aid & CPR “C” certification
- NSL Certification, YMCA - Health Child Development, Fundamental Movement Skills – NCCP certification or other relevant certifications will all be strongly considered as assets for this position
- Minimum of 18 years old
- Applicants must already have a valid permit to work in Canada.
- Criminal Reference Check for the Vulnerable Sector, not more than 6 months old is required. This requirement requires a renewal every three (3) years.
- As a condition of employment, in accordance with the COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement Policy for Staff and Volunteers, you are required to provide proof that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have a valid exemption.
- Annually all staff must complete the mandatory training for the Protecting Children, Youth, and Vulnerable Persons, and submit the certificate of completion.
- COMMUNICATION: Communicates in a thorough, clear, and timely manner and supports information sharing and goal achievement across the Association.
- CONCERN FOR HEALTH AND SAFETY: Acknowledges and understands how to manage and educate others on risk and harm reduction.
- INCLUSIVENESS: Understand and commits to promoting equal opportunity and support for all children regardless of ability.
- INTEGRITY: Demonstrates responsible behaviour at all times and maintains high ethical standards.
- TEAMWORK: Participates actively in a team for organizational effectiveness. Create an atmosphere of trust amongst all team members.
About diversity and inclusiveness at the Y:
Inclusiveness is a part of our core values and we are committed to ensuring the diversity of the people and communities we serve as well as our staff. We welcome candidates from racialized groups, invisible minorities, Indigenous People, women, persons with disabilities, persons who identify as 2SLGBTQ+.
How to apply?
All internal applicants must inform their supervisor of their intention to apply for the position. Internal applicants can apply only after completing the probationary period of their current job unless approved by People and Culture.
Applications must be submitted to the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region, and all cover letters should be addressed to Vanessa Spratt. Please send applications to General Manager, Camping and Outdoor Education, Vanessa Spratt (email@example.com)
Thank you for your interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please advise in advance if you require any accommodation during this process. We believe all people have the right to live free from discrimination or harassment of any kind.