Camp Area Supervisor
Location: Camp Otonabee - 1620 Sixth Line Rd. RR#1, Dunrobin, On
Type: Part-time, On-Call Contract (10 weeks) with Option to extend $ 15.50 per hour
Preferred start date: Monday, Jun 21, 2021
Closing date: Friday, Jun 04, 2021
As one of the largest charitable community service organizations in the National Capital Region, the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region responds to critical social needs in the community and works to provide meaningful solutions. Serving more than 90,000 children, youth, and adults across our region annually, we are committed to promoting healthy living and fostering social responsibility within the community. This position requires a commitment to the Y mission and core values of responsibility, honesty, caring, and respect, which form the foundation of all Y programs and services.
Nature and Scope
The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region’s Camp Otonabee provides an opportunity for children and youth to engage in outdoor activities, discover nature and enjoy the natural environment, build self-confidence and establish lasting friendships. Campers aged 4 to 16 can experience canoeing, rock climbing, kayaking, swimming, horseback riding, and more. Camp Otonabee is located at 1620 Sixth Line Road, Dunrobin, Ontario.
This position would consist of either a program coordinator, counseling coordinator, or health and wellness coordinator title. You would be supervising a staff team of 4-8. Depending on your title, your responsibilities may vary.
This position has a pay grade of $15.50 per hour.
Some of the tasks of this position include: (Depending on position, responsibilities may vary)
- Give first priority to the camper’s needs
- Provide high-quality facilitation of all program areas at Camp Otonabee
- Assist in the creation, development, and maintenance of programs at Camp Otonabee
- Supervise Section Heads, Program Staff or Camp Counsellors
- Support in the training of staff
- Provide customer service to all of our parents and campers
- Perform some housekeeping responsibilities – sanitation of equipment, program areas, etc.
- Assist in set up and takedown of equipment
- Report Directly to the Camping Coordinator
- Communication: Communicates in a thorough, clear, and timely manner and supports information sharing and goal achievement across the Association.
- Integrity: Demonstrates responsible behaviour at all times and maintains high ethical standards.
- Teamwork: Participates actively in a team for organizational effectiveness. Create an atmosphere of trust amongst all team members.
- Concern for Health and Safety: Acknowledges and understands how to manage and educate others of risk and harm reduction.
- National Lifeguard Certification, Bronze Cross, Paddle Canada, or other relevant certifications are strongly considered as assets for this position
- CUI Level 1 or Level 2 or previous high ropes experience/hours is considered an asset
- Current Standard First Aid & CPR “C” certification
- Bilingualism an asset
- Well-developed interpersonal, conflict resolution skills and relationship building skills; ability to establish rapport and excellent communication with children, members, staff, and volunteers
- Commitment to working in a socially inclusive environment responding with sensitivity and personal awareness to the diverse needs of members including visible and non-visible dimensions of diversity
- Experience in a day or residential camp in positions with progressive leadership and responsibility
- Minimum of 18 years old
- A minimum of 4 years' experience working in and around camping and outdoor education and a minimum of 2 years of supervisory experience in and around camping and outdoor education
- Must provide a Vulnerable Sector Police Record Check, not older than 3 months, as per Association policy
- Annually all staff must complete the mandatory training for the Protecting Children, Youth, and Vulnerable Persons, and submit the certificate of completion.
How to Apply
A cover letter and resume must be submitted no later than the closing date to the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region, Attn: Sara Pinsky, hiring manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please use the position title as the subject line in your application e-mail.
All internal applicants must inform their supervisors of their intention to apply for the position.
The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer. Please advise in advance if you require any accommodation during the application or selection process. We believe all people have the right to live free from discrimination or harassment of any kind. Any information you send us will be handled respectfully and in complete confidence.
The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is committed to providing a safe environment for children. Candidates will be thoroughly screened using background checks and a review process.
Thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.