Aquafit Instructor, Health, Fitness and Aquatics (HFA) Clarence-Rockland Location
Location: 1525 Du Parc Ave Suite 1, Rockland, ON
Type: Part-time casual, preferred start date as soon as possible and position will remain posted until filled
Preferred start date: Monday, Aug 15, 2022
Closing date: Saturday, Dec 31, 2022
As one of the largest charitable community service organizations in Canada, the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region responds to critical social needs in the community and works to provide lasting solutions. Serving thousands of people across our region annually, we are a leader and valued partner in creating a vibrant and healthy community where everyone belongs and can reach their full potential. This position requires a commitment to the Y mission and core values of responsibility, honesty, caring, respect, and inclusion, which form the foundation of all Y programs and services.
Working for the Y
Are you looking to use your skills and unique gifts to make a real difference in your community? The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is a great workplace committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, where different backgrounds, experiences, and identities are appreciated and celebrated. The YMCA-YWCA provides hundreds of employees with meaningful jobs and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. We recognize the contributions of our staff through innovative practices, great benefits, and growth opportunities. Whether you are starting out in your career or a seasoned professional, you will find many exciting opportunities to achieve your personal and career goals. Some of the benefits of working for the Y include:
What we offer
At the Y, you will be part of a vibrant and diverse network of people whose shared vision is to change lives and make our communities home to the healthiest children, teens, adults, and families.
Our competitive wage and benefit package include:
- Free Y membership.
- Discounted Y program fees (including health & fitness programs, child care, and camps)
- Access to an Employee Assistance Program
What you offer?
The Aquafit Instructor is responsible for the direct delivery of group fitness classes on a regular basis while maximizing the participation and involvement of YMCA-YWCA members and participants.
The Aquafit Instructor presents a professional appearance and attitude at all times and ensures excellent customer service is provided to members and participants by proactively addressing concerns or issues and escalating them to the Coordinator of Fitness, Wellness, and Recreation as necessary.
This position ensures that health and safety regulations and YMCA-YWCA policies and procedures are upheld.
The successful candidate will demonstrate a personal commitment to and understanding of the Y’s mission, vision, and values.
Some of the tasks of this position include:
- Provide a supportive, welcoming environment for all ensuring excellent quality programs and services are delivered to all program members and potential program members
- Demonstrate YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility
- Act as a team member, possessing excellent judgment, flexibility, decisiveness, and energy
- Actively interact and ‘build relationships’ with program members to help ensure member experiences are enhanced, members are successful, and retained
- Promote and encourage all members to participate to their fullest potential
What qualifications and abilities are we looking for?
At YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region, we strive to ensure our employees are a fit based on their strengths, interests, and future goals.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Fluent in French and English, oral and written essential
Experience, Abilities & Skills
- Commitment to Y values – caring, respect, responsibility, honesty
- Current Standard First Aid & CPR “C” certification
- Maintains a recognized Instructor certification (CALA, YMCA Aqua Fit Instructor)
- 1-2 years of previous experience as an instructor
- Knowledge of CLASS or another database/client management systems is an asset
- Knowledge and frequent use of MS Office suite of products are required
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to motivate and build rapport with diverse clients
- Excellent Customer Service Skills particularly as it relates to members' experience
- Applicants must already have a valid permit to work in Canada.
- Criminal Reference Check for the Vulnerable Sector, not more than 6 months old is required
- As a condition of employment, in accordance with the COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement Policy for Staff and Volunteers, you are required to provide proof that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have a valid exemption.
- Annually all staff must complete the mandatory training for the Protecting Children, Youth, and Vulnerable Persons, and submit the certificate of completion.
- COMMITMENT TO Y VISION AND VALUES – Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of an appreciation for the mission, vision, strategic outcomes, and values of the YMCA-YWCA.
- LEADERSHIP – Motivates and inspires others to take action and achieve desired outcomes.
- QUALITY FOCUS – Ensures that success criteria for self are set, reviewed, and surpassed regularly to provide excellent service delivery.
- RESULTS ORIENTED – The ability to manage and lead to achieve and exceed identified goals.
- SERVICE ORIENTATION – Deliberately identifies and creates opportunities to enhance each and every person’s YMCA-YWCA experience.
- TEAMWORK – The ability to work effectively with others to achieve optimal collective results.
About diversity and inclusiveness at the Y:
Inclusiveness is a part of our core values and we are committed to ensuring the diversity of the people and communities we serve as well as our staff. We welcome candidates from racialized groups, invisible minorities, Indigenous People, women, persons with disabilities, and persons who identify as 2SLGBTQ+.
How to apply?
All internal applicants must inform their supervisor of their intention to apply for the position. Internal applicants can apply only after completing the probationary period of their current job unless approved by People and Culture.
Applications must be submitted to the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region, and all cover letters should be addressed to Tracey Ware. Please send applications to General Manager, Health, Fitness & Aquatics, Tracey Ware (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Thank you for your interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please advise in advance if you require any accommodation during this process. We believe all people have the right to live free from discrimination or harassment of any kind.