Second Stage Housing Program for Youth
Setting the stage for a bright future.
The Second Stage Housing Program for Youth is a supportive transitional housing program for youth aged 16-24 who are no longer able to live at home and need some assistance as they move towards independence. The program provides safe, supportive housing and life-skills programs for youth currently involved in a full time combination of school, training, treatment or employment.
During their stay, with the support of a Second Stage Support Worker, youth will develop an Individual Goal Plan which identifies strengths, challenges and ways to achieve success. The plan is reviewed regularly to celebrate progress and to address the barriers encountered on the way to achieving successful independent living.
While in the program, youth will participate in regular group and individual life-skills workshops. The workshops are intended to be interesting, fun and informative. Sessions are delivered mostly in a group format to provide the opportunity to socialize and promote a mutually supportive and respectful living environment for residents.
Youth in the program must be able to pay the program fee and cover the cost of personal needs such as food, transportation, bedding and toiletries. Program fees are set at the maximum shelter allowance rate for social assistance recipients to ensure the program remains affordable.
Participating youth must:
- Be between the ages of 16Y-24Y.
- Be engaged in a full time Day Program which can include: school, work, treatment, volunteering, or other programs; or a combination of agreed upon programs.
- Be willing to accept and follow residency guidelines, including participation in mandatory programming: case management and attending weekly life skills and chosen Day Program.
- Be motivated to work with a Second Stage Support Worker on on an Individual Goal Plan.
- Have demonstrated having respect for self, others, property and personal living space.
- Have demonstrated a level of semi-independence and stability to take care of own basic needs, and complete day to day program expectations
- Be able to pay the program fee (maximum social assistance-shelter allowance rate) and cover the cost of personal needs.
How to Apply
We accept self-referrals, referrals from family members, friends, academic, medical or social supports, and community support workers.
- Complete the Second Stage Housing Program for Youth Application Form (PDF) and submit it to the Second Stage Support Worker, which may be done in person, by fax, via mail, or by email.
- If eligible, an assessment interview is arranged. The youth will have the opportunity to obtain more information about the program.
- Once references have been contacted, the youth will be informed of the decision regarding their entry into the program. As space is limited, there may be a need for the youth to remain on a waiting list.
Shenkman Residence at the, Taggart Family Y
180 Argyle Avenue, Main Floor
Ottawa, ON K2P 1B7
Phone: 613-237-1320 ext. 5029
View our Second Stage Housing Facilities
(Click on an image below to enlarge)
Funded in partnership with: