Power of Trades
Explore a future in the skilled trades!
Power of Trades offers pre-employment training and support for immigrants, as well as consultation for any job seeking clients, who are interested in working in the skilled trades. All services are offered at no cost to participants.
Not sure if the skilled trades are right for you?
Skilled trades are hands-on jobs in the construction, motive power, industrial, and service sectors.
With over 140 skilled trades to choose from in careers as diverse as automotive repair, landscaping, child care, and masonry work, these careers offer great opportunities for advancement, high salaries and options for self-employment.
The Power of Trades Program
The Power of Trades program is a non-technical, pre-employment training program. During a 6-week session, participants receive information and practical advice about finding and keeping a job in the skilled trades in Ontario.
Examples of material covered in the training includes: understanding the apprenticeship process in Ontario, preparation for the Certificate of Qualification exam, labour laws and regulations in Ontario, understanding what Canadian trades employers look for in a new employee, resume and interview preparation, guest speakers from local industry, and other useful information and activities.
- Six weeks of in-class employment preparation.
- Orientation to skilled trades and apprenticeships.
- Access to in-demand certification (First Aid/CPR, Working at Heights, WHMIS, Service Excellence, etc.).
- Access to academic upgrading (Ontario Secondary School Diploma).
- Work placement in your trade following your training.
- Ongoing individualized job search support.
- Be a permanent resident or convention refugee.
- Be an Ontario resident.
- Have a strong interest in the skilled trades.
- 18 years of age or older.
- Canadian Language Benchmark 6 or higher.
To learn more about the Power of Trades program, download our Power of Trades FAQ document (PDF).
For more information, please contact: 343-998-9659 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Funded in partnership with: