Built by Her
Providing immigrant women with skills and training to explore job opportunities in the Skilled Trades
In partnership with WorldSkills Employment Centre, Built by Her is a career exploration program geared towards immigrant women/womxn who want to explore a career path in the Skilled Trades. Participants will review jobs in the trades virtually, have access to English upgrading, as well as access to paid job trials and job placements. There is no cost to participate.
- Six weeks of virtual career exploration, followed by a three week job placement. Classroom instruction covers material such as: introduction to Skilled Trades, understanding the apprenticeship process in Ontario, skilled training pathways and opportunities, labour laws and regulations in Ontario, understanding what Canadian trades employers look for in a new employee, resume and interview preparation, and guest speakers from local industry.
- Virtual Reality platform allowing participants to explore up to 15 Skilled Trades workplaces in great detail.
- Communication and Employability Training for the Skilled Trades.
- Connection to paid job trials and job placements within the skilled trades sectors.
- Access to financial supports enhancing employability and wage stipends.
- Program will be delivered virtually, excepting job trials and placements.
Participants must be:
- 18+ years of age
- Self-Identifying as an Immigrant Woman
- Resident of Ontario
- Legally entitled to work and study in Canada
- Able and willing to commit to 6 weeks of full-time training in a virtual/online setting
- Available for full-time employment
- Canadian Language Benchmark of average 5 or higher
Learn about the Y's Women in Trades Programs
In partnership with:
This Employment Ontario project is funded in part by the Government of Canada and the Government of Ontario.