Canada-Ontario Job Grant
The Canada-Ontario Job Grant (COJG) provides an opportunity for employers to invest in their workforce, with help from the government.
The grant provides direct financial support to eligible employers who wish to purchase training for their employees. It is available to small, medium and large businesses to help deliver short-term training to existing and new employees.
- Provides up to $15,000 for new hires, $10,000 for incumbent employees; in government support per person for training costs.
- Requires employers to contribute one-third of the total costs. There is additional flexibility for small businesses to provide an in-kind contribution towards their share of the costs, and in some cases, 100% of the training for new hires may be covered if the trainee/employer is eligible.
- Requires that training is delivered by an eligible, third-party trainer.
Employer Eligibility Requirements
An employer must meet the following criteria to qualify:
- Be licensed to operate in Ontario
- Comply with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and the Employment Standards Act
- Maintain appropriate Workplace Safety and Insurance Board or private workplace safety insurance coverage
- Be able to contribute a minimum of 1/3 of eligible training costs in cash (unless they have 50 or fewer employees)
- Employ the individual selected for training
- Be applying for training that is delivered in Ontario and is related to a job that is also located in Ontario
Individual Eligibility Requirements
All individuals must meet the following criteria to qualify:
- Be a resident of Ontario
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or protected person
- Be one the following:
>Employed individuals must be identified for training by their employer.
>Unemployed individuals must also be sponsored by an employer, demonstrated through a permanent or conditional offer of employment.
>An individual must not be participating in full-time training or education or any other government training intervention that offers funding support for the same tuition, books or other training related costs.
Training Eligibility Requirements
Training supported through the Canada Ontario Job Grant is driven by employer demand and must be directly related to the skill needs identified by the employer. Therefore, employers identify the types of training required to meet their skill needs and the individual(s) who will be trained.
Training cannot exceed one year in duration and must be provided by one of the following third-party providers:
- Colleges of Applied Arts and Technology
- Publicly-assisted universities
- School boards
- Private trainers operating in compliance with the Private Career Colleges Act, 2005
- Union-based training centres
- Product vendors (who are not doing operational functionality training)
Get started now by calling, emailing or visiting us at one of our locations
Employment Services are funded in part by the Government of Canada and the Government of Ontario.