|Date Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2019|
|Application Deadline: Tuesday, November 12, 2019|
YMCA-YWCA of the NATIONAL CAPITAL REGION
POSITION VACANCY – INTERNAL/EXTERNAL POSTING
POSITION: Camping Coordinator – Camp Otonabee
DEPARTMENT: Health, Wellness and Family Engagement Department
LOCATION: YMCA-YWCA - Camping Branch – 1620 Sixth Line Rd, Dunrobin, ON
PLACEMENT: Full time
PREFERRED START DATE: November 18, 2019
CLOSING DATE: November 12, 2019
As one of the largest charitable community service organizations in the National Capital Region, the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region responds to critical social needs in the community and works to provide solutions. Serving more than 70,000 people across our region annually, we are committed to nurturing the potential of children, youth and adults, promoting healthy living and fostering social responsibility within the community. This position requires a commitment to the Y mission and core values of responsibility, honesty, caring, and respect, which form the foundation of all Y programs and services
NATURE AND SCOPE:
The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region’s Bonnenfant YMCA-YWCA Outdoor Education and Leadership Centre is a year round Outdoor Education and Summer Camp facility that serves more than 10,000 participants each year. The BYOC provides an opportunity for children, youth and adults to engage in outdoor activities, enjoy the natural environment, build self-confidence and establish lasting friendships. The BYOC is focused on providing exceptional leadership training and outdoor education and adventure experiences that will promote healthy lifestyles and encourage positive relationships with the natural world. This position would be responsible for our summer camp operations, Camp Otonabee, with support provided to the Outdoor Programs portfolio throughout the remainder of the year.
Some of the tasks of this position include:
- Facilitating the onboarding and management of the seasonally teams of the Bonnenfant Outdoor Education department and Camp Otonabee – generally 20 - 90 staff
- Train, schedule, coach and evaluate seasonal teams on site
- Work collaboratively with peers and manager and provide feedback when necessary for the overall quality and experience of all of our program areas – Bonnenfant Outdoor Education, Camp Otonabee and Neighbourhood Day Camps
- Build and manage the budget for Camp Otonabee portfolio – expenses, revenue, and purchasing
- Clear communication with participants, staff, volunteers, and management
- Program development
- Management of program areas
- Organization and scheduling
- As per the Protecting Children, Youth, and Vulnerable Persons Policy, staff of the YMCA-YWCA will take allegations of abuse seriously.
- All staff members are familiar with their duty to report and the procedure for reporting suspected abuse or neglect of a child.
Qualifications and Skills
- Post-secondary education in a related field
- 4-5 years’ experience working in an outdoor education and camping environment
- Standard First Aid and CPR “C” certification
- WFA 40 hr or WFR 80 hr an asset
- Certifications in Paddle Canada, National Life Guarding Service and ACCT Challenge Course Facilitation would be considered an asset – or willingness to obtain
- A sound knowledge of child development
- A sound knowledge and understanding of camping programs and team management
- Previous experience in the development and implementation of new programs and services
- Previous experience managing a budget
- Experience and sensitivity in dealing with members of different cultural and racial backgrounds including visible and invisible dimensions of diversity
- Flexible to work days, evenings and weekends
- The ability to work effectively in both official languages is an asset
- COMMUNICATION: Communicates in a thorough, clear and timely manner and supports information sharing and goal achievement across the Association.
- CONFLICT RESOLUTION: Facilitates appropriate and timely solutions to conflict.
- PROBLEM SOLVING: Identifies an issue, gathers and processes relevant information, coming up with possible solutions, selecting appropriate responses, and implementing them.
- DIVERSITY: Appreciates that people with different opinions, backgrounds and characteristics bring richness to the challenge or situation at hand.
- INITIATIVE: Does the right thing at the right time without being asked.
- SELF-MANAGEMENT: Works independently within prescribed parameters, can discern the relevance of issues and communicate them effectively to his/her supervisor.
- Must provide a Vulnerable Sector Police Record Check, not older than 6 months, as per Association policy
- Annually all staff must complete the mandatory training for the Protecting Children, Youth, and Vulnerable Persons, and submit the certificate of completion.
HOW TO APPLY:
Cover letter and resume must be submitted no later than the closing date to the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region, to hiring manager Vanessa Spratt ( firstname.lastname@example.org) – General Manager, Camping and Outdoor Education.
Please use the position title as the subject line in your application e-mail.
All internal applicants must inform their supervisor of their intention to apply for the position.
CLOSING DATE: November 12, 2019
Thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer. Please advise in advance if you require any accommodation during the application or selection process. We believe all people have the right to live free from discrimination or harassment of any kind. Any information you send us will be handled respectfully and in complete confidence.
The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is committed to providing a safe environment for children. Candidates will be thoroughly screened using background checks and a review process.
We Build Strong Kids... Strong Families... Strong Communities.