|Date Posted: Monday, February 4, 2019|
|Application Deadline: Friday, May 31, 2019|
POSITION: Inclusion Counsellor
DEPARTMENT: CYF Summer Camp
PLACEMENT: Seasonal Contract; preferred start date, June 8, 2019
LOCATION: Carlingwood Y
CLOSING DATE: May 31, 2019
As one of the largest charitable community service associations in the National Capital Region, the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region responds to critical social needs in the community and works to provide solutions. Serving more than 70,000 people across our region annually, we are committed to nurturing the potential of children, youth and adults, promoting healthy living and fostering social responsibility within the community. This position requires a commitment to the Y mission and core values of responsibility, honesty, caring, and respect, which form the foundation of all Y programs and services.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region - Neighbourhood Day Camps, memories are made close to home. Children from the ages of 4Y- 16Y can choose specialty camps or take part in a range of traditional day camp activities in gymnasiums, swimming pools and activity rooms, as well as enjoying themed weeks.
Inclusion Counsellors are responsible for providing one on one support to campers with special needs. Inclusion Counsellors will receive training and support but should come into the role with experience working with this sector. Inclusion Counsellors are caring, enthusiastic and patient and will use integrative strategies to ensure each campers success in the program.
The Inclusion Counsellor is accountable to the home site Camp Director for the safe supervision of the children in accordance with program policies and philosophy. The Inclusion Counsellor must be courteous and professional in dealing with campers, members and the general public. An Inclusion Counsellor is a role model to children, volunteers and members, and must demonstrate strong support and commitment to the mission and core values of the YMCA of the National Capital Region and the YMCA in Canada.
Some of the tasks of this position include:
- Support: Providing one on one and two on one support to children with special needs. Assist in developing program inclusion strategies to create a positive experience for all campers. Manage behavioral incidents and implementing behavioral redirection strategies as necessary
- Safety: To be responsible for the safety, supervision and security of all participants in your care at all times by following the YMCA-YWCA Policies and Procedures
- Administration: Complete all necessary paperwork accurately and in a timely manner (site checks, program paper work, incident reports, pre-camp phone calls, staff meetings and parent feedback).
- Act as resource to day camp staff team in terms of inclusive programming
- Demonstrate strong support and commitment to serving the membership, facility users and all program participants of the YMCA of the National Capital Region.
- All other duties as assigned
- Experience working with children with special needs and behavioral managements integration programs
- Current Standard First Aid & CPR “C” certification
- NSL Certification, YMCA - Health Child Development, Fundamental Movement Skills – NCCP certification or other relevant certifications will all be strongly considered as assets for this position
- High School Diploma, Post-Secondary Education, ECE certification an asset
- Bilingualism an asset
- Must provide a Criminal Reference Check for the Vulnerable Sector, not older than 6 months, as per Association policy
- COMMUNICATION: Communicates in a thorough, clear and timely manner and supports information sharing and goal achievement across the Association.
- CONCERN FOR HEALTH AND SAFETY: Acknowledges and understands how to manage and educate others of risk and harm reduction.
- INCLUSIVENESS: Understand and commits to promoting equal opportunity and support for all children regardless of ability.
- INTEGRITY: Demonstrates responsible behaviour at all times and maintains high ethical standards.
- TEAMWORK: Participates actively in a team for organizational effectiveness. Create an atmosphere of trust amongst all team members.
HOW TO APPLY:
Cover letter and resume must be submitted no later than the closing date to the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region, to Sam Cardarelli, hiring manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please use the position title as the subject line in your application e-mail.
All internal applicants must inform their supervisor of their intention to apply for the position.
CLOSING DATE: May 31, 2019
Thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer. Please advise in advance if you require any accommodation during the application or selection process.
We believe all people have the right to live free from discrimination or harassment of any kind. Any information you send us will be handled respectfully and in complete confidence.
The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is committed to providing a safe environment for children. Candidates will be thoroughly screened using background checks and a review process.
We Build Strong Kids... Strong Families... Strong Communities.