|Date Posted: Monday, February 4, 2019|
|Application Deadline: Tuesday, April 30, 2019|
POSITION: CYF Summer Head Counsellor
DEPARTMENT: CYF Summer Camp
PLACEMENT: Seasonal Contract; preferred start date, June 8, 2019
LOCATION: Ruddy Y
CLOSING DATE: April 30, 2019
As one of the largest charitable community service associations in the National Capital Region, the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region responds to critical social needs in the community and works to provide solutions. Serving more than 70,000 people across our region annually, we are committed to nurturing the potential of children, youth and adults, promoting healthy living and fostering social responsibility within the community. This position requires a commitment to the Y mission and core values of responsibility, honesty, caring, and respect, which form the foundation of all Y programs and services.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
Reporting to the Assistant Camp Director/Camp Director/ Coordinator of Child, Youth and Family Programs, the CYF Summer Camp Head Counsellor implements and facilitates the delivery of quality recreational programs, services and experiences to children and teens aged 4 to 16 enrolled at YMCA-YWCA. The CYF Summer Camp Head Counsellor functions as part of a team tasked with supervising program participants as they engage in outdoor activities, discover nature and enjoy the natural environment, build self-confidence and establish lasting friendships.
The CYF Summer Camp Head Counsellor ensures that children and teens have a positive experience leading to personal growth through fun and rewarding recreation and sport programs. This position fosters self-esteem; problem solving and conflict resolution skills in program participants while working to create an atmosphere of safety, belonging and positive development in accordance with Y policies and procedures.
The CYF Summer Camp Head Counsellor presents a professional appearance and attitude at all times, and ensures excellent customer service is provided to members and participants by proactively addressing concerns or issues and escalating them to the Coordinator of Child, Youth and Family Programs as necessary. This position ensures that health and safety regulations and YMCA-YWCA policies and procedures are upheld. The CYF Summer Camp Head Counsellor adheres to and ensures that the mission, purpose, image and core values of the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region are conveyed to members, staff and volunteers with every interaction.
The CYF Summer Camp Head Counsellor will function as a team member in a group of 8-10 in either an overnight or day capacity.
- National Lifeguard Certification, Bronze Cross, Paddle Canada, ACCT or other relevant certifications are strongly considered as assets for this position
- Current Standard First Aid & CPR “C” certification
- Bilingualism an asset
- Experience working in a day camp or overnight camp setting are considered as an asset
- Well-developed interpersonal, conflict resolution skills and relationship building skills; ability to establish rapport and excellent communication with children, members, staff and volunteers
- Commitment to working in a socially inclusive environment responding with sensitivity and personal awareness to the diverse needs of members including visible and non-visible dimensions of diversity
- Must provide a Criminal Reference Check for the Vulnerable Sector, not older than 6 months, as per Association policy
- COMMUNICATION: Communicates in a thorough, clear and timely manner and supports information sharing and goal achievement across the Association.
- CONCERN FOR HEALTH AND SAFETY: Acknowledges and understands how to manage and educate others of risk and harm reduction.
- INCLUSIVENESS: Understand and commits to promoting equal opportunity and support for all children regardless of ability.
- INTEGRITY: Demonstrates responsible behaviour at all times and maintains high ethical standards.
- TEAMWORK: Participates actively in a team for organizational effectiveness. Create an atmosphere of trust amongst all team members.
HOW TO APPLY:
Cover letter and resume must be submitted no later than the closing date to the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region, to Scott Norris, hiring manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please use the position title as the subject line in your application e-mail.
All internal applicants must inform their supervisor of their intention to apply for the position.
CLOSING DATE: April 30, 2019
Thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer. Please advise in advance if you require any accommodation during the application or selection process.
We believe all people have the right to live free from discrimination or harassment of any kind. Any information you send us will be handled respectfully and in complete confidence.
The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is committed to providing a safe environment for children. Candidates will be thoroughly screened using background checks and a review process.
We Build Strong Kids... Strong Families... Strong Communities.