|Date Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2019|
|Application Deadline: Monday, June 24, 2019|
POSITION: Section Head (10 Week Contract Position) – Outdoor Education and Camping
$300-$400/week – based on a Monday to Friday work week
LOCATION: YMCA-YWCA Camp Otonabee & Bonnenfant Y Outdoor Education and Leadership Centre - 1620 Sixth Line Road, Dunrobin, Ontario.
PLACEMENT: 10 week Contract: Monday, June 24th, 2019 – Friday, August 30th, 2019
CLOSING DATE: June 24, 2019
*NOTE: In addition to the 10-week contract there is an opportunity to accept a position as a Program Instructor during our Spring session of camp from Monday, April 22nd – Friday, June 20th, 2019.
The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is a charitable Association offering opportunities for personal growth and service to others. As an independent charity, delivering values based programs concerned for the whole person in Spirit, Mind and Body it has a special role to play in helping to ‘Build Strong Kids... Strong Families... Strong Communities’. Core programs and services are: Membership, Employment, Housing, Camping and Outdoor Education, Child Care, Philanthropy, International & Community. The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region provides programs and services for 70,000 individuals each year and up to 40,000 of those are children and youth under 18 years of age.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region’s Camp Otonabee provides an opportunity for children and youth to engage in outdoor activities, discover nature and enjoy the natural environment, build self-confidence and establish lasting friendships. Campers aged 4 to 16 can experience canoeing, rock climbing, kayaking, swimming, horseback-riding and more. Camp Otonabee is located at 1620 Sixth Line Road, Dunrobin, Ontario. You will be supervising an age group or program area of about 6-10 staff.
Some of the tasks of this position include:
- Give first priority to the camper’s needs
- Provide high quality facilitation of program areas such as high ropes, low ropes, and group games
- Perform some housekeeping responsibilities – sanitation of equipment, cleaning program areas, etc.
- Assist with the set up and take down of program areas
- Complete attendance of campers each morning
- Provide exceptional customer service
- Support in the training of frontline staff
- Assist frontline staff with behavior management of campers
- Manage camp counsellors in your section
- Report directly to the Counselling Coordinator
- COMMUNICATION: Communicates in a thorough, clear and timely manner and supports information sharing and goal achievement across the Association.
- INTEGRITY: Demonstrates responsible behaviour at all times and maintains high ethical standards.
- TEAMWORK: Participates actively in a team for organizational effectiveness. Create an atmosphere of trust amongst all team members.
- CONCERN FOR HEALTH AND SAFETY: Acknowledges and understands how to manage and educate others of risk and harm reduction.
- Current Standard First Aid & CPR “C” certification and Clear Criminal Reference Check for Vulnerable Sector
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills
- Be self-motivating, enthusiastic and a responsible individual with strong leadership skills committed to the healthy development of children
- Ability to work in a team setting
- National Lifeguard Certification, Paddle Canada, ACCT or other relevant certifications will all be strongly considered as assets for this position
- Bilingualism an asset
- Criminal Reference Check for the Vulnerable Sector, not more than 3 months old is required
HOW TO APPLY:
Cover letter and resume must be submitted no later than the closing date to the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region, to hiring manager and Director, Emily Graham at email@example.com
Please use the position title as the subject line in your application e-mail.
All internal applicants must inform their supervisor of their intention to apply for the position.
CLOSING DATE: June 24, 2019
Thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer. Please advise in advance if you require any accommodation during the application or selection process. We believe all people have the right to live free from discrimination or harassment of any kind. Any information you send us will be handled respectfully and in complete confidence.
The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is committed to providing a safe environment for children. Candidates will be thoroughly screened using background checks and a review process.
We Build Strong Kids... Strong Families... Strong Communities