|Date Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2019|
|Application Deadline: Thursday, January 31, 2019|
POSITION: Child, Youth and Family Neighbourhood Day Camp Director, Seasonal Part Time position
PLACEMENT: Preferred start date, June 1, 2019
LOCATION: Ruddy Y
CLOSING DATE: January 31, 2019
As one of the largest charitable community service associations in the National Capital Region, the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region responds to critical social needs in the community and works to provide solutions. Serving more than 70,000 people across our region annually, we are committed to nurturing the potential of children, teens and young adults, promoting healthy living and fostering social responsibility within the community. This position requires a commitment to the Y mission and core values of responsibility, honesty, caring, and respect, which form the foundation of all Y programs and services.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
This 12-week contract position will focus on providing strong leadership to the counseling team, and providing program quality and camper care quality.
The Camp Director will play an integral role in supporting the Camp Coordinator, as well as taking leadership at camp. The Camp Director will provide direction on day-to-day matters including parent communications, assisting with difficult situations, supervising camp staff, ensuring program quality and safety is delivered, reinforcing Child Protection Policy protocols, and problem-solving.
The Camp Director is accountable to the Children Youth and Family Program Coordinator for the safe supervision of the children in accordance with program policies and philosophy. The Camp Director must be courteous and professional in dealing with campers, families and all members and the general public. The Camp Director is a role model to staff, children and clients, and must exemplify the YMCA-YWCA core values and maintain a high standard of work ethic.
- Give first priority to the campers needs
- Supervisor camp staff
- Ensure program quality and safety is delivered
- Reinforce Child Protection Policy protocols
- Provide high quality facilitation of all camp programs offered
- Perform some housekeeping responsibilities – program areas, etc.
- Assist in set up and take down of program areas and equipment
- Develop and maintain constructive and open communication with campers and families
- Understand and follow through on all YMCA-YWCA policies, procedures and guidelines, as outlined in the Policies and Procedures manual
- Participate in team teaching
- Other duties as directed by immediate supervisor
- Support the charitable and philanthropic efforts of the Association
- Minimum 3 years camp experience and strong supervisory and staff support skills
- Strong camper focus and programming skills
- Current Standard First Aid, CPR “C” certification
- High level of interpersonal and communication skills
- Be self-motivating , enthusiastic and a responsible individual with strong leadership skills committed to the healthy development of children
- Ability to work in a team setting
- NLS certifications will be strongly considered as assets for this position
- Bilingualism an asset
- Police Record Check for the Vulnerable Sector is required, as per Association Policy
- COMMUNICATION: Communicates in a thorough, clear and timely manner and supports information sharing and goal achievement across the Association.
- INTEGRITY: Demonstrates responsible behaviour at all times and maintains high ethical standards.
- TEAMWORK: Participates actively in a team for organizational effectiveness. Create an atmosphere of trust amongst all team members.
- CONCERN FOR HEALTH AND SAFETY: Acknowledges and understands how to manage and educate others of risk and harm reduction.
CLOSING DATE: January 31, 2019
All internal applicants must inform their supervisor of their intention to apply for the position.
Cover letter and resume must be submitted no later than the closing date to the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region, to hiring manager Scott Norris at email@example.com.
Please use the position title as the subject line in your application e-mail.
Thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer. Please advise in advance if you require any accommodation during the application or selection process. We believe all people have the right to live free from discrimination or harassment of any kind. Any information you send us will be handled respectfully and in complete confidence.
The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is committed to providing a safe environment for children. Candidates will be thoroughly screened using background checks and a review process.
We Build Strong Kids... Strong Families... Strong Communities