|Date Posted: Friday, December 08, 2017|
|Application Deadline: Wednesday, January 31, 2018|
POSITION: Aquatics Lifeguard / Instructor
PLACEMENT: Starting February 2017
LOCATION: Taggart Family YMCA -YWCA
SCHEDULE: Must be available on Wednesday evenings
As one of the largest charitable community service organizations in Canada, the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region responds to critical social needs in the community and works to provide solutions. Serving more than 70,000 people across our region annually, we are committed to nurturing the potential of children, teens and young adults, promoting healthy living and fostering social responsibility within the community. This position requires a commitment to the Y mission and core values of responsibility, honesty, caring, and respect, which form the foundation of all Y programs and services.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
The Aquatics Lifeguard / Instructor will work as part of the National Capital Region YMCA-YWCA team in providing programs and services to the Y. Reporting directly to the Aquatics Coordinator, the successful candidate will be responsible for providing a safe and fun environment for all members of the YMCA-YWCA. The ideal candidate must be reliable, committed and responsible. The candidate must be prepared to guard in conjunction with programming, events and activities, while adhering to Ontario Pool Regulations, and the National Lifeguard Service Guidelines.
• Provide a supportive, welcoming environment for all ensuring excellent quality programs and services are delivered to all program members and potential program members.
• Demonstrate YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility
• Act as a team member, possessing excellent judgment, flexibility, decisiveness and energy
• Actively interact and ‘build relationships’ with program members to help ensure member experiences are enhanced, members are successful and retained
• Promote and encourage all members to participate to their fullest potential
• Promptly respond to program member and participant inquiries and concerns. Relaying these issues back to the Team Leaders or Aquatic Coordinator to help resolve these issues
• Implement member involvement activities and events, which will work to strengthen members commitment and sense of belonging to the
• Provide direct supervision and interaction with members – offering encouragement and advice while interacting with members in the conditioning area on a daily basis, ensuring Y policies, procedures and code of etiquette are maintained
• Adhere to emergency guidelines and procedures; understanding their risks
• Be a contributing team member and share in the overall responsibilities of the day to day operations
• Work to ensuring the facility is clean and safe at all times, taking responsibility for the Pool areas specifically
• Ensure pool equipment is well maintained
• Complete all other administrative responsibilities and duties
• Attend training sessions as required
COMMITMENT TO Y VISION AND VALUES – Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of an appreciation for the mission, vision, strategic outcomes and values of the YMCA-YWCA.
LEADERSHIP – Motivates and inspires others to take action and achieve desired outcomes.
QUALITY FOCUS – Ensures that success criteria for self are set, reviewed and surpassed regularly to provide excellent service delivery.
RESULTS ORIENTED – The ability to manage and lead to achieve and exceed identified goals.
SERVICE ORIENTATION – Deliberately identifies and creates opportunities to enhance each and every person’s YMCA-YWCA experience.
TEAMWORK – The ability to work effectively with others to achieve optimal collective results.
• Commitment to Y values – caring, respect, responsibility, honesty.
• Excellent customer service, interpersonal and communication skills.
• Current NLS
• Standard First Aid and CPR C certification
• Criminal Reference Check
• YMCA, Red Cross or Lifesaving Society Swim Instructors certification is required
• YMCA, Speedo, or CALA Aqua Fitness are considered asset certifications
• Any additional aquatic qualifications will be considered an asset.
HOW TO APPLY:
Cover letter and resume must be submitted no later than the closing date to the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region, Coordinator, Aquatics; email@example.com . Please use the position title as the subject line in your application e-mail.
All internal applicants must inform their supervisor of their intention to apply for the position.
CLOSING DATE: January 31, 2018
Thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer. Please advise in advance if you require any accommodation during the application or selection process. We believe all people have the right to live free from discrimination or harassment of any kind. Any information you send us will be handled respectfully and in complete confidence.
The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is committed to providing a safe environment for children. Candidates will be thoroughly screened using background checks and a review process.
We Build Strong Kids... Strong Families... Strong Communities