|Date Posted: Friday, October 27, 2017|
|Application Deadline: Sunday, June 24, 2018|
POSITION: Camp Counsellor
PLACEMENT: 10 Week Contract commencing Monday, June 25th 2018 ending Friday, August 31st 2018
*NOTE: shorter contracts also available 6-8 week
LOCATION: YMCA-YWCA Camp Otonabee & Bonnenfant Y Outdoor Education and Leadership Centre - 1620 Sixth Line Road, Dunrobin, Ontario.
RATE: $175-$250/week – based on a Monday to Friday work week
As one of the largest charitable community service organizations in Canada, the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region responds to critical social needs in the community and works to provide solutions. Serving more than 70,000 people across our region annually, we are committed to nurturing the potential of children, youth and adults, promoting healthy living and fostering social responsibility within the community. This position requires a commitment to the Y mission and core values of responsibility, honesty, caring, and respect, which form the foundation of all Y programs and services.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region’s Camp Otonabee provides an opportunity for children and youth to engage in outdoor activities, discover nature and enjoy the natural environment, build self-confidence and establish lasting friendships. Campers aged 4 to 16 can experience canoeing, rock climbing, kayaking, swimming, horseback-riding and more. Camp Otonabee is located at 1620 Sixth Line Road, Dunrobin, Ontario. The Camp Counsellor will function as a team member in a group of 8-10 in either an overnight or day capacity.
Some of the tasks of this position include:
• Give first priority to the camper’s needs
• Supervise a group of 6-10 campers
• Deliver high quality facilitation of all programs offered at Camp Otonabee
• Perform some housekeeping responsibilities – sanitation of equipment, program areas, etc.
• Assist in set up and take down of program areas and equipment
• Provide behavior management of campers
• Support in the facilitation of high ropes and waterfront activities
• Reports directly to Camp Director
COMMUNICATION: Communicates in a thorough, clear and timely manner and supports information sharing and goal achievement across the Association.
INTEGRITY: Demonstrates responsible behaviour at all times and maintains high ethical standards.
TEAMWORK: Participates actively in a team for organizational effectiveness. Create an atmosphere of trust amongst all team members.
CONCERN FOR HEALTH AND SAFETY: Acknowledges and understands how to manage and educate others of risk and harm reduction.
• Current Standard First Aid & CPR “C” certification and Clear Criminal Reference Check for Vulnerable Sector
• Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills
• Be self-motivating, enthusiastic and a responsible individual with strong leadership skills committed to the healthy development of children
• Ability to work in a team setting
• National Lifeguard Certification, Paddle Canada, ACCT or other relevant certifications will all be strongly considered as an asset for this position
• Experience working in a day camp or overnight camp setting will be considered as an asset for this position
• Bilingualism an asset
HOW TO APPLY:
Cover letter and resume must be submitted no later than the closing date to the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region, Coordinator of Camping - firstname.lastname@example.org . Please use the position title as the subject line in your application e-mail.
All internal applicants must inform their supervisor of their intention to apply for the position.
CLOSING DATE: Open until filled
Thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer. Please advise in advance if you require any accommodation during the application or selection process. We believe all people have the right to live free from discrimination or harassment of any kind. Any information you send us will be handled respectfully and in complete confidence.
The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is committed to providing a safe environment for children. Candidates will be thoroughly screened using background checks and a review process.
We Build Strong Kids... Strong Families... Strong Communities.