|Date Posted: Friday, October 27, 2017|
|Application Deadline: Sunday, June 24, 2018|
POSITION: Support Staff
PLACEMENT: 10 Week Contract commencing Monday, June 25th 2018 ending Friday, August 31st 2018
*NOTE: In addition to the 10-week contract there is an opportunity to accept a position as a Program Instructor during our Spring session of camp from Monday, April 23rd – Friday, June 22nd 2018.
LOCATION: YMCA-YWCA Camp Otonabee & Bonnenfant Y Outdoor Education and Leadership Centre - 1620 Sixth Line Road, Dunrobin, Ontario.
RATE: $350-450/week depending on experience
As one of the largest charitable community service organizations in Canada, the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region responds to critical social needs in the community and works to provide solutions. Serving more than 70,000 people across our region annually, we are committed to nurturing the potential of children, youth and adults, promoting healthy living and fostering social responsibility within the community. This position requires a commitment to the Y mission and core values of responsibility, honesty, caring, and respect, which form the foundation of all Y programs and services.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region’s Camp Otonabee provides an opportunity for children and youth to engage in outdoor activities, discover nature and enjoy the natural environment, build self-confidence and establish lasting friendships. Campers aged 4 to 16 can experience canoeing, rock climbing, kayaking, swimming, horseback-riding and more.
This position would consist of either a program coordinator, counselling coordinator, or health and wellness coordinator title. You would be supervising a staff team of 4-8. Depending on your title, your responsibilities may vary.
Some of the tasks of this position include:
• Give first priority to the camper’s needs
• Provide high quality facilitation of all program areas at Camp Otonabee
• Assist in the creation, development, and maintenance of programs at Camp Otonabee
• Supervise section heads, or program staff
• Support in the training of frontline staff
• Provide customer service to all of our parents and campers
• Perform some housekeeping responsibilities – sanitation of equipment, program areas, etc.
• Assist in set up and take down of equipment
• Reporting directly to the Camp Director
COMMUNICATION: Communicates in a thorough, clear and timely manner and supports information sharing and goal achievement across the Association.
INTEGRITY: Demonstrates responsible behaviour at all times and maintains high ethical standards.
TEAMWORK: Participates actively in a team for organizational effectiveness. Create an atmosphere of trust amongst all team members.
CONCERN FOR HEALTH AND SAFETY: Acknowledges and understands how to manage and educate others of risk and harm reduction.
• National Lifeguard Certification or Bronze Cross
• Challenge Course Certification (ACCT), or experience working with challenge courses
• Current Standard First Aid & CPR “C” certification and Clear Criminal Reference Check for Vulnerable Sector
• Supervisory experience would be considered an asset
• Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills
• Be self-motivating, enthusiastic and a responsible individual with strong leadership skills committed to the healthy development of children
• Ability to work in a team setting
• Paddle Canada, or other relevant certifications will all be strongly considered as assets for this position
• Bilingualism an asset
HOW TO APPLY:
Cover letter and resume must be submitted no later than the closing date to the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region, Coordinator of Camping - firstname.lastname@example.org . Please use the position title as the subject line in your application e-mail.
All internal applicants must inform their supervisor of their intention to apply for the position.
CLOSING DATE: Open until filled
Thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer. Please advise in advance if you require any accommodation during the application or selection process. We believe all people have the right to live free from discrimination or harassment of any kind. Any information you send us will be handled respectfully and in complete confidence.
The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is committed to providing a safe environment for children. Candidates will be thoroughly screened using background checks and a review process.
We Build Strong Kids... Strong Families... Strong Communities.