|Date Posted: Thursday, October 26, 2017|
|Application Deadline: Thursday, November 23, 2017|
POSITION: Full Time Child Care Teacher
LOCATION: Taggart Family Y - 180 Argyle Avenue, Ottawa, ON
PLACEMENT: Permanent full time starting December 1, 2017
As one of the largest charitable community service organizations in Canada, the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region responds to critical social needs in the community and works to provide solutions. Serving more than 70,000 people across our region annually, we are committed to nurturing the potential of children, youth and adults, promoting healthy living and fostering social responsibility within the community. This position requires a commitment to the Y mission and core values of responsibility, honesty, caring, and respect, which form the foundation of all Y programs and services.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region Licensed Child Care programs, Ruddy Family Y location, offers quality care for over 50 children and their families across the region. Housing a Toddler and a Preschool Program, our Licensed Child Care Unit provides care for children from 18 months to 5 years of age. The program operates year-round focusing on healthy child development in an inviting and nurturing environment. In addition, parents play an integral role in our program through mutual respect as partners in fostering a positive experience in which their children can grow and develop.
The teacher will function as a team member responsible for the development and maintenance of high quality programs for children and families. This person will be an active part of the service delivery team for Licensed Child Care.
The teacher is accountable to the Senior Coordinator, Child Care for the implementation of the program for a specific age group in accordance with program policies and philosophy. The program should meet with the needs of the individual child with concerns for his or her interests, special needs, talents and individual style for and pace of learning. The teacher must be courteous and professional in dealing with parents, all members and the general public. The teacher is a role model to staff, children and customers, and must exemplify YMCA-YWCA values, and maintain a high standard of work ethic.
Some of the tasks of this position include:
• Create an educational, safe, clean and enjoyable environment for children by planning and implementing age appropriate programs to meet children’s social, emotional, physical, educational and individual needs under the Y Playing to Learn curriculum.
• Foster self-esteem, problem solving and conflict resolution skills in children.
• Develop and maintain constructive and open communication with staff.
• Understand and follow through on all YMCA-YWCA policies, procedures and guidelines, as outlined in the Policies and Procedures manual and Parent Handbook.
• Participate in a team teaching approach in the supervision of the children and the development of the program.
• The preparation of snack and housekeeping duties for the Child Care Programs on a rotational basis with other teachers.
• Support the charitable and philanthropic efforts of the Association.
COMMUNICATION: Communicates in a thorough, clear and timely manner and supports information sharing and goal achievement across the Association.
INTEGRITY: Demonstrates responsible behaviour at all times and maintains high ethical standards.
TEAMWORK: Participates actively in a team for organizational effectiveness. Creates an atmosphere of trust amongst all team members.
CONCERN FOR HEALTH AND SAFETY: Acknowledges and understands how to manage and educate others of risk and harm reduction.
CREATIVITY AND INNOVATION: Plans and implements quality programming in a developmentally appropriate environment.
• ECE diploma or CECE recognized equivalency an asset
• Member in good standing of the College of Early Childhood Educators of Ontario as required
• Minimum two years experience working with children
• Current Standard First Aid and CPR ‘C’ Certifications
• Highly motivated, enthusiastic and responsible individual with strong leadership skills committed to the healthy development of children
• High level of interpersonal and written skills
• Criminal Reference Check for the vulnerable population not more than 6 months old is required
*Bilingual Candidates preferred.
HOW TO APPLY:
Cover letter and resume must be submitted no later than the closing date to the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region, Senior Coordinator, Child Care, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the position title as the subject line in your application e-mail.
All internal applicants must inform their supervisor of their intention to apply for the position.
CLOSING DATE: November 23, 2017
Thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is committed to being an Equal Opportunity
Employer. Please advise in advance if you require any accommodation during the application or selection process. We believe all people have the right to live free from discrimination or harassment of any kind. Any information you send us will be handled respectfully and in complete confidence.
The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is committed to providing a safe environment for children. Candidates will be thoroughly screened using background checks and a review process.
We Build Strong Kids... Strong Families... Strong Communities