|Date Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2017|
|Application Deadline: Thursday, November 30, 2017|
POSITION: Program Instructor – Outdoor Education and Camping – Contract Position
$11.40 - $12.15/hr – Average hours per week would be 20-44
PLACEMENT: Tuesday, September 5th 2017 – Thursday, November 30th 2017 with the possibility of extension into the winter months
As one of the largest charitable community service organizations in Canada, the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region responds to critical social needs in the community and works to provide solutions. Serving more than 70,000 people across our region annually, we are committed to nurturing the potential of children, youth and adults, promoting healthy living and fostering social responsibility within the community. This position requires a commitment to the Y mission and core values of responsibility, honesty, caring, and respect, which form the foundation of all Y programs and services.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region’s Bonnenfant Outdoor Education and Leadership Centre offers outdoor education, adventure education and Leadership programs to school, community and corporate groups 12 months of the year. This four month contract position will focus on the delivery of outdoor education and leadership programs to school age participants that include but are not limited to: Canoe and Kayak instruction; Rock climbing and high ropes challenge course facilitation; outdoor living skills and nature education; and initiative and low ropes challenge course facilitation.
The Program Instructor will function as a team member responsible for the maintenance of high quality programs for children and families by creating an educational, safe, clean and enjoyable environment for children. This person will be an active part of the outdoor education team and will be expected to contribute in all program areas at the outdoor education centre.
The Program Instructor is accountable to the Director of Outdoor Education and Camping for the safe supervision of the children in accordance with program policies and philosophy. The Program Instructor must be courteous and professional in dealing with teachers, students and all members and the general public. Program Instructor is a role model to staff, children and customers, and must exemplify YMCA-YWCA values, and maintain a high standard of work ethic.
Some of the tasks of this position include:
• Give first priority to the student’s needs
• Provide high quality facilitation of all programs offered at the outdoor centre
• Perform some housekeeping responsibilities – sanitation of equipment, program areas, etc.
• Assist in set up and take down of program areas and equipment
• Develop and maintain constructive and open communication with staff and teachers
• Understand and follow through on all YMCA-YWCA policies, procedures and guidelines, as outlined in the Policies and Procedures manual
• Participate in a team teaching approach
• Other duties as directed by immediate supervisor
• Support the charitable and philanthropic efforts of the Association
COMMUNICATION: Communicates in a thorough, clear and timely manner and supports information sharing and goal achievement across the Association.
INTEGRITY: Demonstrates responsible behaviour at all times and maintains high ethical standards.
TEAMWORK: Participates actively in a team for organizational effectiveness. Create an atmosphere of trust amongst all team members.
CONCERN FOR HEALTH AND SAFETY: Acknowledges and understands how to manage and educate others of risk and harm reduction.
• Formal post-secondary education in an Outdoor related discipline (environmental studies, outdoor recreation, Outdoor Adventure etc.) or equivalent experience.
• Minimum of one season’s experience working in the outdoor education industry
• Current Standard First Aid & CPR “C” certification and Clear Criminal Reference Check for Vulnerable Sector
• National Lifeguard Certification
• Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills
• Be self-motivating , enthusiastic and a responsible individual with strong leadership skills committed to the healthy development of children
• Ability to work in a team setting
• Paddle Canada, ACCT or other relevant certifications will all be strongly considered as assets for this position
• Bilingualism an asset
HOW TO APPLY:
Cover letter and resume must be submitted no later than the closing date to the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region,firstname.lastname@example.org – Coordinator of Outdoor. Please use the position title as the subject line in your application e-mail.
All internal applicants must inform their supervisor of their intention to apply for the position.
CLOSING DATE: Open until filled
Thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer. Please advise in advance if you require any accommodation during the application or selection process. We believe all people have the right to live free from discrimination or harassment of any kind. Any information you send us will be handled respectfully and in complete confidence.
The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is committed to providing a safe environment for children. Candidates will be thoroughly screened using background checks and a review process.
We Build Strong Kids... Strong Families... Strong Communities.