|Date Posted: Friday, June 2, 2017|
|Application Deadline: Friday, June 30, 2017|
YMCA-YWCA – Neighbourhood Day Camps
JOB TITLE: Camp Counsellor – Neighbourhood Day Camps
LOCATION: Taggart Family Y
PLACEMENT: June 10, 2017 – September 1, 2017 (12 week contract)
As one of the largest charitable community service organizations in Canada, the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region responds to critical social needs in the community and works to provide solutions. Serving more than 70,000 people across our region annually, we are committed to nurturing the potential of children, youth and adults, promoting healthy living and fostering social responsibility within the community. This position requires a commitment to the Y mission and core values of responsibility, honesty, caring, and respect, which form the foundation of all Y programs and services.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region - Neighbourhood Day Camps, memories are made close to home. Children from the ages of 4Y- 16Y can choose specialty camps or take part in a range of traditional day camp activities in gymnasiums, swimming pools and activity rooms, as well as enjoying themed weeks.
The Camp Counsellor will function as a team member responsible for the maintenance of high quality programs by creating an educational, safe, clean and enjoyable environment for children. This person will be an active part of the Y Neighbourhood Day Camp team and will be expected to contribute in all program areas at one of our four centers. They will not be solely responsible for the deliverance of all program areas, but will be assisted by certified staff members. No previous camp experience is required, but an open attitude and willingness to learn are valuable qualities.
The Camp Counsellor is accountable to the home site Camp Director for the safe supervision of the children in accordance with program policies and philosophy. The Camp Counsellor must be courteous and professional in dealing with campers and all members and the general public. A Camp Counsellor is a role model to children, volunteers and members, and must demonstrate strong support and commitment to the mission and core values of the YMCA of the National Capital Region and the YMCA in Canada.
Some of the tasks of this position include:
• Programming: To lead and participate in all programs and to actively swim each day with the campers. Delivering programming based on skill level, and age of participants
• Administration: Complete all necessary paperwork accurately and in a timely manner (site checks, program paper work, incident reports, pre-camp phone calls, staff meetings and parent feedback).
• Safety: To be responsible for the safety, supervision and security of all participants in your care at all times following the YMCA Policies and Procedures
• To participate with the children in a positive and supportive manner using the Healthy Childhood Development frameworks.
• Demonstrate strong support and commitment to the mission and core values of the YMCA of National Capital Region and the YMCA in Canada.
• Demonstrate strong support and commitment to serving the membership, facility users and all program participants of the YMCA of National Capital Region.
• Develop and maintain an open, constructive and professional relationship with program participants, care givers, volunteers, co-workers and supervisors
• Assuming other duties as assigned
COMMUNICATION: Communicates in a thorough, clear and timely manner and supports information sharing and goal achievement across the Association.
CONCERN FOR HEALTH AND SAFETY: Acknowledges and understands how to manage and educate others of risk and harm reduction.
INCLUSIVENESS: Understand and commits to promoting equal opportunity and support for all children regardless of ability.
INTEGRITY: Demonstrates responsible behaviour at all times and maintains high ethical standards.
TEAMWORK: Participates actively in a team for organizational effectiveness. Create an atmosphere of trust amongst all team members.
• Current Standard First Aid & CPR “C” certification and Clear Criminal Reference Check for Vulnerable Sector
• High School Diploma, Post-Secondary Education, ECE certification an asset
• NSL Certification, YMCA - Health Child Development, Fundamental Movement Skills – NCCP certification or other relevant certifications will all be strongly considered as assets for this position
• Bilingualism an asset
CLOSING DATE: Open until filled
All internal applicants must inform their supervisor of their intention to apply for the position.
Applications must be submitted no later than the closing date to the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region, Human Resource Services, at firstname.lastname@example.org Thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer. Please advise in advance if you require any accommodation during the application or selection process. We believe all people have the right to live free from discrimination or harassment of any kind. Any information you send us will be handled respectfully and in complete confidence.
The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is committed to providing a safe environment for children. Candidates will be thoroughly screened using background checks and a review process.
We Build Strong Kids... Strong Families... Strong Communities.