Latest COVID-19 Update
August 10, 2020
Dear Y Members and Supporters,
With the Ontario Government now allowing fitness facilities to reopen under strict guidelines, we have been busy getting everything in place to welcome back members and participants. The safety and health of our staff, volunteers, members, and participants is paramount. We are preparing to reopen our health, fitness and aquatics operations in a phased approach, one facility at a time, with gradual increase of services being offered.
Like with the Province's COVID-19 strategy, only once we have been successful in each phase will we move on to the next. Our hope is that Phase 1 will begin September 8, 2020 at our Taggart Family Y. Some members may also be invited to participate the week before as a trial run and to provide feedback - we will send out details soon on how you can apply to attend during this week
Phase 1 reopening plans are as follows:
- The Taggart Family Y will be the first centre to reopen with reduced hours.
- The following areas will be available to members with limited capacities: the conditioning floor, a limited number of group fitness classes, and access to the general change rooms (PLUS change rooms will not open). All other areas will remain closed.
- We will only welcome adult Y members aged 16Y and older in Phase 1.
- Access will be restricted to Y members only (no day pass users will be allowed).
- There will be no charge for members for the first week.
- Those members not ready to return can choose to remain on hold with no fees/charges.
Further phases will include opening of more facilities, more services and increasing opening hours. The timing and content of these phases is dependent upon the success of Phase 1, and any changes in direction from Ottawa Public Health or the Ontario Government. We always work closely with Ottawa Public Health and receive guidance for how and when we are safely permitted to open and/or expand services.
Getting ready to come back to the Y - Phase 1
We know some of you are really excited to get back to your fitness routine, and we are excited to see you! Below are some of the protocols that will be in place to keep everyone safe, as well as some new guidelines we are asking members to follow:
- All members must be screened on entry.
- Plexiglas dividers will be in place at all customer service desks.
- Face masks are mandatory in all areas until such times as you are exercising
- Please practice good physical distancing and remain 2 meters apart from others.
- Please come ready to exercise. There are no showers available and only limited lockers.
- Please bring your own personal yoga mat if needed.
- Sanitization stations will be available throughout our buildings.
- Cleaning and sanitizing protocols have been greatly increased. We will close for an hour each weekday in the afternoon for a full sanitization.
- Please respect signage throughout buildings
- A new booking system will cap the number of members per activity in the Y at a given time. Activities will be bookable seven days in advance.
While we continue our preparations, call back and train staff, and seek further direction from Provincial and City health authorities, we also make decisions based on our own principles that help guide the re-opening of facilities:
- The safety of staff, volunteers, and participants is paramount.
- Everyone must adhere to or exceed local and provincial guidelines.
- Open facilities carefully and at an appropriate pace.
- The financial viability of the Association will be assessed prior to re-opening any site.
- Ensure clear, concise communications are consistently used and always align with our values and principles.
We look forward to welcoming everyone back soon, and will be in touch with additional details shortly. You can also find reopening information and FAQs posted on our website.
Yours in health,
Vice President, Health, Fitness, Aquatics and Camping