2016 Tax Clinics for Newcomers
The Newcomer Information Centre is hosting several tax clinics which will run during tax season (March and April) to assist newcomers in preparing their income taxes for the 2016 tax year. No cost, by appointment only. Learn more >
The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region's Newcomer Information Centre (NIC) is a first stop for all newcomers to
We offer regular orientations to show you how to use NIC services. Our team of trained information specialists are here to listen and provide you with information and opportunities.
Our services are available in English and French. As well, NIC staff members speak many other languages. Whenever possible, you may be served in your first language.
Free Monthly Workshops and Events
We partner with community agencies to offer monthly workshops and information sessions on a broad selection of topics that are helpful to newcomers. Read the monthly calendar to find out when workshops are happening.
- How to apply for permanent residency in Canada
- Canadian citizenship study process
- The Newcomer Settlement Program of Ontario
- Resources for immigration application assistance
- Trades and apprenticeships for newcomers
Our multilingual staff can offer you:
- Immigration and Citizenship Information
- Information and referrals to resources/services to help you settle
- Access to settlement workers
- Immigration application assistance
- A Resource Centre with computers/Internet
- Information on education, employment and training opportunities
- Referrals to language assessment and classes
Computer Resource Centre
Our computers have important websites already bookmarked to help you find the information you need and save you time. We can provide guided assistance and/or basic training on computers, if needed. A photocopier and a fax machine are also available to use.
Library of Resources
Get your NIC Resource Card on your first visit. We house a large collection of resources related to settlement. Help yourself to brochures and fact sheets on housing, health care, education, jobs and training and a variety of other topics.
Click here to read Raquel's story.
Frequently Asked Questions
Hours of Operation:
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday: 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
Thursday: 8:30 am to 7:00 pm
Friday: 8:30 am to 4:00 pm
|Locations offering this program|
|Employment, Enterprise and Newcomer Services|
|Newcomer Information Centre|