The YMCA-YWCA Language Assessment and Referral Centre provides immigrants with English or French language assessments for government-funded programs. There is no cost to you for our services.
We can help you improve your French or English language skills by providing you with:
- Nationally recognized Language Assessments based on Canadian Language Benchmarks
- Information on local language classes and support services (i.e. child care and transportation)
- Referrals to government-funded language programs
- Referrals to other services and programs in the community
Who is Eligible?
- 18 years of age and older
- Canadian Citizens born outside of Canada
- Permanent Residents
- Convention Refugees/Protected Persons
- Persons in Canada whose applications for Permanent Resident status are being processed in Canada and who have been informed by a letter from Citizenship and Immigration Canada of the initial approval of their application subject to an admissibility assessment
- Refugee claimants
- Temporary workers or students who have obtained initial approval for a concurrent Application for Permanent Residence
- Foreign domestic workers admitted under the Live-In Caregiver program
- ESL/FSL: English/French as a Second Language
- LINC -Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada
- BTW- Bridge to Work Programs/Placements
- ELT - Enhanced Language Training (higher-level language training)
- OSLT - Occupation-Specific Language Training
Interested in learning more? Read our frequently asked questions.
Have you booked your assessment? Learn what to bring to your assessment.
Contact us to learn more:
308-240 Catherine Street, Ottawa
Hours of operation
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday - 8:30AM - 5:00PM
Tuesday - 8:30AM - 7:00PM
Friday - 8:30AM - 4:00PM
|Locations offering this program|
|Employment, Enterprise and Newcomer Services|
|Language Assessment and Referral Centre|